Thread: Anyone doing Restoration and Refinishing as a pro?

Anyone doing Restoration and Refinishing as a pro?

I would like to know if there are any decent sites out there for serious restoration and refinishers. Most of what I find when I google is Dr. Joe's miracle cleaners, blah, blah or some site where folks are still going on about feeding the finish or oiling wood because it's dry (myths both).

I've been doing this off and on for a few years and want to start getting to a more professional level of knowledge and skill. may have to pop for some decent training too I expect.

thanks creekers...

What do you and don't you know at present? Not just "know" but can actually "perform" ----> professionally?

You can read books or search the net or join all kinds of forums, but without the hands-on skills in place, it's just words.

Being a "pro" going on 48 years, I would suggest you try to find someone locally in your case to show you the basics of good finishing procedures, not that there is no one hear that can help you, but again taking words and turning them into actions in a manner that will get you pro results is a whole different thing. It took me 5 years of hands-on apprenticeship from a master finisher before i had confidence and ability to copy or reproduce any and all finishes painted or clear, faux or colored at that time and also be able to create new finishes.

Though i personally would be happy to have you participate here, as I'm sure the others would also, i really think your best bet would be to seek out someone local to your area who has a shop and good reputation of long standing, and would be willing to take you on and show you what you need to know. That's the only way your really going to learn outside of the usual trial and error methods most have learned by. Just a suggestion.

Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

Thanks Joe. Up to now I can do the basics excluding spraying finish. I don't have a sprayer yet. I've stripped and refinished the typical country oak washstand, desk, etc. using shellac mostly. Reviving old pieces cleaning and then waxing and buffing. Applying new finish to new work with finishes that don't require spraying like wipe on poly/varnish, water based poly, shellac, brush on lacquer and paint/milk paint. I have a surplus of old chairs and tables I practice my dent, scratch and gouge repair on with shellac sticks and burn-in knife. Fair beginner is what I'd say on that.

As you would know the typical person on the street sees a grungy old washstand, you clean it, remove gunk, fix a dent or two, add a nice coat of amber shellac and voila their impressed. But it's another thing to have someone ask you to restore a 130 yr old mahogany sleigh bed with scroll work, curves and large flat areas that will show any goof up.

Blog Entries
    Whit,

Sheldon gave you really good advise. In my younger days, I restored a lot of antiques and houses. Primarilly American victorian, but quite a bit of french Louis XVI and arts and crafts as well. There is little substitution for learning by doing beside someone who has seen more than you. Depending upon the repair or refinish, there are so many approaches and methods. What would be simple on a solid wood piece can become very complicated on a veneered piece. For specific questions, asking here is a good resource. For general knowledge find a master. Remember for true aniques, they weren't sprayed. In a modern shop, spraying would be acceptable. For archival restorations and repairs, spraying would be a no-no.

Find a master and learn by his side. I finally thought I had "made it" when I could consistantly screed perfect smoke plasters. But by then I was so sick of it, I decided a college education was the way to go. I am not trying to talk you out of it, but that work can be very challenging. My friend used to restore frames at the Getty Museum. Painstaking work. I think he would roll his eyes at the thought of doing it again.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Then i would start by finding someone local to teach you how to spray. You can't accomplish pro work without this ability, seldom do pro's hand apply any finish.
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Whit,

Sheldon gave you really good advise. In my younger days, I restored a lot of antiques and houses. Primarilly American victorian, but quite a bit of french Louis XVI and arts and crafts as well. There is little substitution for learning by doing beside someone who has seen more than you. Depending upon the repair or refinish, there are so many approaches and methods. What would be simple on a solid wood piece can become very complicated on a veneered piece. For specific questions, asking here is a good resource. For general knowledge find a master. Remember for true aniques, they weren't sprayed. In a modern shop, spraying would be acceptable. For archival restorations and repairs, spraying would be a no-no.

Find a master and learn by his side. I finally thought I had "made it" when I could consistantly screed perfect smoke plasters. But by then I was so sick of it, I decided a college education was the way to go. I am not trying to talk you out of it, but that work can be very challenging. My friend used to restore frames at the Getty Museum. Painstaking work. I think he would roll his eyes at the thought of doing it again.
    I agree, if your doing restoration or conservation spraying is not necessary, But for modern work you can't do without it.
    Sincerely,

Thanks guys for the insight. Agreed you have to learn by doing and not just read about this stuff. I've done a bit of restoration while trying to be smart enough to know when to send someone on to a more experienced person/place. My mother collected early american antiques when it was a "hobby" and not a way to get rich. So I have some pieces that probably date from late 1700's to early 1800's I helped her restore and now maintain.

I am not young enough to quit my day job and find a master at this point or maybe old enough to retire and then find a teacher. In small city markets some folk are kinda closed to teaching someone who could be a rival later.

Quote Originally Posted by whit richardson View Post
    Thanks guys for the insight. Agreed you have to learn by doing and not just read about this stuff. I've done a bit of restoration while trying to be smart enough to know when to send someone on to a more experienced person/place. My mother collected early american antiques when it was a "hobby" and not a way to get rich. So I have some pieces that probably date from late 1700's to early 1800's I helped her restore and now maintain.

I am not young enough to quit my day job and find a master at this point or maybe old enough to retire and then find a teacher. In small city markets some folk are kinda closed to teaching someone who could be a rival later.
    LOL, that's true, i had my share of unintentional rival building when i was younger. But with time i realized that even though i may have taught them the basics, or a little more, it really never came back to haunt me. In fact it really helped me in the sense that when they ran into work they did not feel comfortable in doing themselves it came my way Even with my apprentice ship it was at least another 10 years or more before i considered myself a quasi-master, and over 20 before someone else who had been in the business much longer than me actually said i was a master. In the long run, it's better to share and teach if and when you can. I also think you may gain much more knowledge in the meantime by buying CD's by those who make them, it's not hands on but better than just reading, for me I'm more of a visual learner, not that i don't read extensively, but i really learn when watching and doing more so. At least give it some consideration ok?
    Sincerely,