Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse wings

Reverse wings

reverse wing 10.jpg
    This is a piece I made some time ago, a 2up 2 down with a hollowed dish & lid, turned from Beech.
    9" across opp' wing tips & 4 1/2" top of the finial, It sits on a set of carved feet. The wings are a tad under 1/8th "
    reverse wing 10A.jpg

Apologies for the distracting photos but these are all I have now
    Any comments welcome & thanks for the look
    Pete

Mr. Gray:

You were warned about revealing the secret stealth drone. You cannot run. You cannot hide. We will be coming for you.

Resistance is futile! Not sure about the finial, but the wing stuff is nothing short of amazing! No doubt that wasn't fun, easy or a 10 minute project!! Great piece Pete!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

very cool. First picture made me think of a sting ray. Well done Pete.

Very similar to the work of Terry Scott of New Zealand, and very well done!

Now, that's a beauty!! Curious as to how these are accomplished

Beauty Pete. It reminded me also of a stingray.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Don't want to know the time spent sanding off the excess. Great piece and I envy your perseverance and patience. I've been touring some civil war battle fields and the finial reminds me of the canons pointed up to honor fallen officers.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks a million guys for the feedback,
    John, pretty easy to pick Terry's mata ray we belong to the same Guild at South Auckland along with Gordon Penbridge & Dick Vietch & some other very good turners, so us mortals try to pick up what we can
    Pete

I like it!! Like John - my first thought was of Terry Scott's manta ray series! With Terry, Gordon and Dick Vietch as members of your guild - I know that if it were me, I would be hitting all of them up for lessons!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Pete,

What a great piece. I really like that idea of one up and one down.

Quinn

spendid....
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Many thanks Steve, Quinn & Michelle, much appreciated
    Pete

Make 4 wings in the upward and downward direction...cut off the upward, downward, upward, and downward wings as the piece is rotated in either direction...do lots of sanding on the transitions...and you might have something that looks this nice!

Nice piece Pete. Keep associating with Terry and you'll be branding and adding patinas before you know it!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------