Thread: Gorilla Dust Collector Quit

Gorilla Dust Collector Quit

Just the other day, I was cutting on the bandsaw with the dust collector running. The sound of the unit changed to a higher pitch, then the unit quit. 2hp Oneida Gorilla.

It's been installed about 7 years. Dedicated circuit. Breaker not tripped, cycling it made no difference. Plugged in properly. Opened the magnetic switch box. Nothing loose, burnt; no sign of burning. It appears to function normally when powered. It appears that the problem is at the motor.

Suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this? The unit is mounted on the wall with the top of the unit about 11 feet off the floor.

It appears that I would have to disassemble the entire unit, dismount it from the wall in order to remove the motor. Baldor motor. Installing it was not something that I want to repeat, but I may already be there.

I haven't talked to Oneida, yet.

What is the sure, cheap, quick, and easy approach to this? I want to proceed intelligently, so that I don't have the whole thing apart only to discover that I missed checking something easy.

Chris
    Chris

Impeller turn freely?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    Chris,

I suggest you call Oneida and have them talk you thru troubleshooting it. I'm wondering what the high pitched sound was about? As for as the motor shutting down that sounds like the overload relays (heaters) did their job.

I have the same machine as you by the way.

I think Mike has a good question in what's the status of the impeller.

Edit-Should also check for correct voltage at the starter, should be 220 to 230 volts, measured hot to hot, in the case something has happened to the supply.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 06-05-2012 at 6:46 PM.

Good suggestions above. Check the status of the impellor and attachment to the shaft. If it came loose, the motor would free-spin and could trip the overloads (high-pitched whine). But I would think that it would make an awful sound if the wheel wrecked. In my experience, if a motor goes bad, it lets all the smoke out of it and you can smell it. Other than that, call Oneida or make sure you have juice going to the motor. Most importantly, be safe and good luck.

Does the motor have a reset button on it?

Blog Entries
    How's it going with your dust collector Chris?

PHM