Thread: Bending 4/0

Bending 4/0

Anyone ever use a Greenlee 796 Ratchet Cable Bender? Anyone use a Bend All Cable Bender?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike, I haven't used the tools you mentioned but I have used tubing and pipe benders to shape heavy electric wires. The Greenlee tools that I have used have always worked great for me, the make good products.
    David B

Nope, however at work we use a GB hydraulic bender, it makes the nicest tight bends you can imagine.......Regards, Rod.

Mike, I visited the Greenlee site that has the bender you posted about, the bender is almost identical to the tubing bender that I use on my heavy wire.
    David B

I got that greenlee wire bender on the way.

Today I managed to score some greenlee punch and dies including a 2 1/2" and another set. I then bought a hydraulic knockout punch kit from Harbor freight. It was open boxed and I got it for $63 - basicly 20% off the store price without a coupon. everything was theer as new so I thought that was good. The greenlee hyd knockout punch kit is $800. I have about 6 boxes to do and a buddy will have some to do as well so they will be nice toys to play with.

Are we talking about 4/0 copper? What kind of bend? I suppose I haven't ever had trouble bending wire by hand, within reason, so you may be attempting more severe shapes than I ever have.

4/0 alum. Coming right out of 320 meter base and into two 200amp disconnect boxes. Also feeding house off one of the disconnects.

Gotcha. In my area those size bases and panels are pretty generous for room so 4/0 isn't a big deal to shape as long as you have some length to leverage with. All the best with it.

The greenlee ratcheting wire bender laughed at my 4/0. Holy cow that is an awesome tool for bending big wire.

Also - hydraulic knockout punch and die set - SWEET!!! Makes a perfect 2 1/2" conduit hole in about 15 pumps of that handle.

I know overkill (story of my life) but man do I like using purpose made tools! There is a reason pros have these folks!

Having a brain lapse right now. But if 4/0 Al is the service entrance cable for 200A service, I just used my body weight and a metal bar. I placed the cable on the ground and the bar over it where I wanted to make the bend lifted the cable. To fine tune it after it was in place, I used a 3lb sledgehammer.

Beating it to submission is definiately an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    4/0 alum. Coming right out of 320 meter base and into two 200amp disconnect boxes. Also feeding house off one of the disconnects.
    4/0 AL is too small for that purpose unless the calculated load is under the rating for 4/0 AL, since the 4/0 is not carrying the ENTIRE load (This also only applies to a residence outbuildings & non-residential do not conform) it does not meet the criteria allowing undersized conductors in Table 310.15(6).
    Last edited by Rollie Meyers; 06-07-2012 at 2:42 AM.