Thread: Need help with plywood size for project.

Need help with plywood size for project.

Do you think ½” plywood would be ok for this project?
    It is going to be painted, I was hoping to find some poplar but all they have around here is that will hold a good coat of paint without showing the grain is Baltic birch.
    The 2 Cubby & 2 Base overall dimensions are 58W x 40H x 21D

Thanks for any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1/2" would be fine. No unsupported big spans there. Nailing face frames on is tricky with 1/2" ply.

Todd

I'd build it with 3/4 myself. 3/4 just looks more correct since that's what you commonly see in furniture, shelving, etc.

I agree with Matt on this one. And the example in the photo looks like 3/4" material. And like Todd said, some joinery may be a challenge with 1/2" ply.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I'd build it with 3/4 myself. 3/4 just looks more correct since that's what you commonly see in furniture, shelving, etc.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

+1. It'll make your project so much easier. And any quality hardwood ply should be paintable with proper sanding and priming.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

My thought (probably heresy here) is to use prefinished melamine or whatever its called from the HD, Menards, etc. You could get most parts already factory cut to the size you need with bull noze front edges. You can't beat it for ease of cleaning and surface durability

It looks like from all your advice, I will be going with the 3/4.
    That is why I love this forum, free advice and information from people with so much more knowledge than me on building.

Floyd

I'd go with 3/4" too. And it doesn't look like there is a face frame on that. Looks like two frameless bases with two frameless uppers set on top. And the bases look like they have some 3/4" set on edge for a wide bottom rail - about 4" tall I'd guess.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain