Thread: Did a cutting board with curves

Did a cutting board with curves

first time try for me doing the curvy thing, i'm pleased with the way it turned out. The technique of getting the contrast requires two boards to be made,...so I have two new boards now. Thanks to the Creek and all those that share their knowledge, it's been a huge help to me.

Curve 1.jpgCurve 2.jpgCurve 4.jpg

Looks awesome! How did you do the thin strips of wood that accent the curve (looks like maybe blood wood?)?

I like it. Did you do anything to re-inforce the curves - maybe a spline? Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by John Hollander View Post
    Looks awesome! How did you do the thin strips of wood that accent the curve (looks like maybe blood wood?)?
    thanks John, but the credit goes to some guy in Belguim or Netherlands,...I used his idea. The thin strips are black walnut.

There is a neat youtube video where I stole the idea from, here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyxzi3ElNbU

I just used the technique shown in that video.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I like it. Did you do anything to re-inforce the curves - maybe a spline? Just curious
    No reinforcement on this one. I sometimes use dowels on cutting boards just to keep them rock solid, but this wood stock was thin to begin with so I opted not to dowel it. I hope it holds over time....we'll see. From experience using Titebond 3, when I've glued panels like that they hold really well and under stress sometimes the wood itself fails before the glue joint...so I felt okay with just the glue.