Thread: Need advice on coating/finishing

Need advice on coating/finishing

I have a product that I'm going to begin offering which is a growler carrier. Many microbreweries have tasting rooms and offer growler (generally 1/2 gallon jugs of beer) refills, but the growlers aren't easy to transport because they roll all over the place during transport, plus many people have more than one growler so I'm offering a 2 and soon, 4 growler carrier.

They're made from 3/4" Baltic Birch ply and I'm looking for a cost effective way to coat/paint them to help protect them against moisture, etc. I've had a few coated with the Line-X product that's used for truck beds and while it's very durable, it's not inexpensive and I'm not thrilled with the way it looks.

I'm looking for input on different coatings/paint that I could use to protect these, but keep the cost down as well since the plywood ones need to be economical (I'm doing hardwood as well).

Any ideas? If it's a simple process, I can do them myself but I'm also not opposed to sending them off to a specialty coating shop as long as I can keep the coating cost per each down to about $10-$15.

Thanks
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

I believe they make assorted colors of vinyl in a spray can. Would this be of interest?

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Perhaps smooth-on might have some good products for this? I've never used their stuff (yet) but I've seen good reviews. www dot smooth-on dot com.

Thanks Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Breshears View Post
    Perhaps smooth-on might have some good products for this? I've never used their stuff (yet) but I've seen good reviews. www dot smooth-on dot com.
    Looks like their Stryocoat product may be exactly what I'm looking for. Now to find out the cost for the spray mechanism and the materials. Thanks Brian.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Have you thought about spray in truck liner to coat these.

I think you'll find the styrocoat a little expensive. Have you considered just Behr opaque stain. It is rated for outdoor use, won't peal, and protects the wood.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Brown View Post
    I think you'll find the styrocoat a little expensive. Have you considered just Behr opaque stain. It is rated for outdoor use, won't peal, and protects the wood.
    Yes, I checked out Strycoat and it's too expensive. I hadn't considered the Behr product. Are you referring to the "Transparent Waterproofing Wood Finish product?

Edit: never mind, found what you're talking about. Looks promising.
    Last edited by Bob Savage; 06-08-2012 at 7:24 PM.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

How about marine varnish?

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    How about marine varnish?
    I love spar varnish but it takes too long to dry between coats. The Behr waterproofing stain looks very promising and reasonably priced.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Why not try pre-finished birch plywood. It has 5 coats of UV cured laquer that are very rugged. All you would have to do is finish the edges.