Thread: To varnish or not to varnish.......

Exclamation To varnish or not to varnish.......

Hi guys and gals,

I need your advise. I am refacing some kitchen cabinets for my in-laws. They told me that they heard the regular varnish will wear down, dis-color, and pit where alot of abuse happens daily. Is that true? Also is there a better product to use. I am building the cabinets out of alder and we are staining them a light, light brown. I would appreciate all your comments. Thanks Josh

While not a finishing expert, I think that varnish is the most wear resistant of the standard clear coat finishes. It will be a better choice than either shellac or laquer. Spar varnish is an outside finish used on boat trim and holds up well to weather, however it may chip in the application you are proposing. I haven't tried any of the poly finishes, but understand that you have a really hard time when it comes to refinishing. I have used some of the precat finishes but it is too soon to comment on how well it will hold up.

Varnish is used in all kinds of places that receive high traffic and wear and tear. Basketball courts, wood floors, roller skating rinks, etc... I would think it would be fine.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Josh,

Check out www.kcma.org/consumer_sub.htm?id=60 for info on how different finishes are test for use in Kitchens.

Some finishes may have excellent resistance to scratches, but not hold up well to moisture. Or, do well with moisture, but can't hold up to household chemicals, etc. <O</O

In general. From least durable to most durable spray finishes are..<O</O

<O</O
    Nitrocellulose NC
    Acrylic Modified NC
    Water Borne Finishes
    Cellulose Acetate Butyrate (CAB)
    Pre catalyzed Lacquers
    Post catalyzed Lacquers
    Conversion Varnish
    Polyurethane (Two Component, not premixed off the shelf)
    Polyester
    <O</O
    Most custom cabinet shops spray kitchens with Conversion Varnish or a pre/post cat lacquer. Many professionals who do onsite refinishing use ML Campbell’s water borne finishes to minimize odors and risk of explosion.

Varnish is not a bad choice; nor are other finishes, depending on what they actually are. They type of varnish also matters...as much as it pains me to say the word...polyurethane is about the best consumer-applied choice for this job. But if you have spraying capabilty, talk to Jeff Wiess at Target Coatings for some very nice, modern water-bourne alternatives to big-box poly that will wear well and go on clear and hard.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...