Thread: Love my Earlex 5500.

Love my Earlex 5500.

I painted this gable end with my Earlex 5500 and I can't believe how much nicer it was then using my airless sprayer which would have taken a half hour to set up, 3 gallons of paint, over sprayed on everything, and then taken 45 minutes to clean up. I used a water based paint and watered it down as much as I thought I could but it was still a little to thick. I am using the 2.0 needle it came with. I think I would have been better served using an oil based paint since it seems like from what I have read you can cut it back with mineral spirits as much as you need to get the viscosity your looking for. I am still happy with the unit and the outcome though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I painted the board & batten siding on a pole barn last week. On Thursday I spent 7 hours painting one gable end with a brush and roller. On Friday I bought a cheapo Wagner spray gun from Home Depot for $75 and painted the front, back, and the other gable end in less than 3 hours. It looked great...for a barn that is. I would never even consider doing any interior work with the gun since it spits and leaks paint, but for $75 it was well worth it.

I haven't painted my house with my 5500, but I have painted three exterior steel doors. I should have thinned the paint more, because I got a heavy orange peel from it, but as it turns out, I like the texture it gives the door. The otherwise flat plain slabs of steel now have a little more visual interest. Sometimes mistakes turn out better than the original plan.

Nice looking Mk5.
    JR

Thanks J.R. I have found some plastic cups with lids http://www.finishsystems.com/sprayguncups.html so I am going to be able to figure out the mixture for the white paint I use the most and then just easily mix a cup up and save the leftovers for later.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Thanks J.R. I have found some plastic cups with lids http://www.finishsystems.com/sprayguncups.html so I am going to be able to figure out the mixture for the white paint I use the most and then just easily mix a cup up and save the leftovers for later.
    Hmmm, do you know if any of those cups, particularly the 104-1 nylon cup about half way down the page will fit the Earlex gun? I don't know how standardized these things are. That would be downright handy if they'll fit.
    Edit: I emailed finish systems. I'll post back to this thread if I hear anything good.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 06-12-2012 at 6:51 AM.

I painted some adirondack chairs with my 5000 last summer with exterior latex paint, they turned out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Hmmm, do you know if any of those cups, particularly the 104-1 nylon cup about half way down the page will fit the Earlex gun? I don't know how standardized these things are. That would be downright handy if they'll fit.
    Edit: I emailed finish systems. I'll post back to this thread if I hear anything good.

THe 104-1 is the cup I want to order. I guess I just assumed they were standardized.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    THe 104-1 is the cup I want to order. I guess I just assumed they were standardized.
    I heard back from Bob at finish systems. He recommended checking where I bought the system. I measured the Earlex cup's mouth diameter and stud size & placement and emailed them. I'll see if I hear back. It would be nice if the dimensions were indeed standard. I was going to put a cup in their shopping cart to check shipping and got this: "NoScript filtered a potential cross-site scripting (XSS) attempt from[http://finishsystems.com]. Techncial details have been logged to the Console". I suspect this is just poor coding on the shopping cart provider's part but it still doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Use Floetrol instead of water...no orange peel. I use it for all painting...even brush painting. Penetrol for oil based paints.

Ya I have been wanting to try Floetrol but just haven't gotten around to it. I sprayed some interior paint with this unit and it worked out pretty well. I think the viscosity of this outdoor paint was about 5 times that of the interior so that wasn't helping matters any. Please keep me updated on those plastic cups because I have been meaning to get some for a while and now I am thinking about it seems like I probably should order a few if they fit.