Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trend Airshield Battery Charger

Trend Airshield Battery Charger

Thanks to Ken Glass for his great article on how to repair Trend Airshield batteries on the cheap. I've used that to fix two of my three batteries. But while doing so I realized that I had now killed 4 very expensive Trend batteries by leaving the Airshield plugged in too long. This makes me think that the charging circuit in the helmet is pretty stupid. Combine that with wanting to charge one battery while using another and it got me going on a quick little project.

First I bought one of these Universal Smart Chargers for 2.4 - 7.2v NiMH/NiCd batteries:

from here: http://www.batteryjunction.com/unsmchfornib.html ($23)

Then I roughly (very roughly) threw together a quick holder for the Trend battery:

Which is just scrap wood glued together with a couple of pieces of wire going through two holes in back (strengthened with epoxy) and then down into two holes in the bottom and tinned:

The battery charger connects to the base using the clips that are included with the charger:

And then you set the battery into the base and plug it in.

Now you have a charger that stops charging when the battery is full AND you can charge one battery while using the other. It isn't fast (about 6 hours) but it works and the packs don't die if you forget to unplug them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty Cool idea!

Thanks Greg, I just recieved my Trend Airshield Pro and was thinking about the same problem. Looks like it could also be fixed with a plug to charge the battery while in the helmet.

Maybe. I'm not sure how the smart charger would work through whatever circuitry is already in the helmet.

Good point, I'll verify what circuitry is involved before leaving it on th helmet.

I can't be sure, but I don't think there's' any "circuitry" to consider in the helmet because I bought their cradle to charge my second battery in instead of using the helmet. It looks like a simple plastic version of Greg's wooden holder.

Greg,

Nice work. I really like my Trend Pro and haven't had battery problems yet, but your idea looks like a must do, given the bat cost.
    Dick Mahany.

I like it! Going to order a charger tonight!

I just bought a Trend Pro with charger and extra battery. Is the external charger a "smart" one or should I build this?
    Last edited by Tom Winship; 06-11-2012 at 8:51 PM.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

My Trend pro instructions say not to charge the battery beyond a certain number of hours, so I think the factory unit must not be "smart", hence want to build one like Greg did.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 06-12-2012 at 9:58 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Levitski View Post
    I can't be sure, but I don't think there's' any "circuitry" to consider in the helmet because I bought their cradle to charge my second battery in instead of using the helmet. It looks like a simple plastic version of Greg's wooden holder.
    If it is a direct feed to the battery that means two things: 1) no wonder it kills batteries; 2) since the charger comes with multiple attachments, it will be easy to modify one to have a helmet-compatible connector while keeping the 'gator clips for your charging base.

Ok I'm lost..I have a trend & the seperate charger unit...does that also "overcharge" the batteries? Seems amazing to me that trend put it out if it does.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Got mine in and the mod was simple. Just to verify how smart the charger was, I measured the amps during the charge and after tbe light turned green. The amps are holding at zero. Great tip thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is super crazy Greg!!! You smart types always come up with the coolest ideas!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Michelle, as far as I can tell, yes it does overcharge. They just made a simple "Power in, power to battery" setup. Charges the battery fine. But will over-charge if left on too long. MOST battery chargers are this way. My dewalt 18v XRP charger does the same thing. The new Lithium-Ion chargers are all Smart; they have to be or the batteries blow up. But most nicd/nimh battery chargers are dumb. Cynicism:ON ... Look at it this way: they sell you a cheap battery charger for lots of money-> they make lots of money. You don't follow their instructions and burn out your batteries -> they make lots of money on replacement batteries. Cynicism: Off.

GK