Thread: Contrator Table Saw Cabinet

Contrator Table Saw Cabinet

As I have said before, I have a brand new Delta contractors saw in the boxes waiting to be assembled. Due to the size of my shop, my saw needs to be mobile. I have already boughten a Jet mobile base and I intend to assemble the saw on this base, however, ultimately, I would like to make my saw part of a mobile cabinet. I have seen several of these and it seems like a wise choice for a very small shop. I have been wanting to make a Norm style router table as well, but it seems like this is a good way to kill 2 birds with one stone by mounting a router as part of the right hand table extension.

If figure the cabinet will be fairly easy to build, especially since I now have the Kreg pocket hole system, the biggest part is putting it all together so everything works together well. When it comes to router extensions, what do people use for these? Are then all hand made or do they sell router table extensions for table saws? I just havne't paid much attention to these in the past.

Seems like the best design would be one that is basically 2 boxes. One for the table saw to sit on and one for the router . When it comes to the table saw, what do you guys think is the best way to go as to how to mount the saw. I could mount it on a solid top or would mounting it on top of a square cut out to allow saw dust to crop down into a drawer or may just drop down into a box behind a cabinet door? I would have to leave room for acess to the bevel wheel on the side of the table. Any thoughts on what would be the best way to go here, thoughts on design etc.?
    Thanks,
    Corey

Here is what I did

I built the Shop Notes # 50 Mobile base whenI had my 64A. The base was great. I added the enclosed router cabinet with Dust control but it was a really useful project. I sold it to a friend whenI upgraded to my Uni but he loves it as well

Let me know if you have any questions

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Corey -

I had a similar base under a contractors saw for a while. The base of the saw mounted directly to the mobile base with a hole cut in it and a deep drawer underneath, as you suggest. It worked very well and is now in another good home. (I upgraded to a cabinet saw.)

The portion of the base under the right extension table was open for storage. Putting a router in the extension table will save you a little more shop space. I keep portable power tools in the cases they come in, so they were easily accessible in the open storage underneath. This area could certainly be used for a couple of drawers for router equipment.

Ted

That is a nice set up Greg! I assum there are wheels under there?
    Ted, thanks,that is what i am thinking about and not 100% sure I will put a router table in but thinking about it. I very well may just make storage out of tht half as you suggest.

Corey

Corey

You could go to my site & view the base I made for my contractors saw. If your going to put a router table on one side of your saw I would recommend making the cabinet long enough for the router enclosure to be supported too this will make it easier to move the whole thing at one time. use good casters that lock the turning of the wheels & rotation of the caster assembly. I purchased mine at Grizzly.

You'll see my new cabinet saw there too, with the router table on the left side. I recommend that you place the router close to the right or left end of the saw so that you can stand along side the router table as you work, like you would while running a jointer. This will give you more control than trying to use the router while standing as you would while running your table saw.

http://bartswoodshop.freeservers.com/

Give a holler if you have any questions.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Thanks guys for the info, links etc. I have a few more ideas. Bart, I dropped you an email.

Corey

I'm building a modified version of this Wood Magazine cart.

http://store.woodstore.net/mosaroce.html

Here's a link to the one I built for my cabinet saw. I have the plans for it in PDf at home. I think it was a PlansNow plan from ShopNotes. PM me if you want a copy. The only thing I regret about that project was not doing it sooner, when it was done!!

...Jim in Idaho

http://myweb.cableone.net/jimnbeck/tabsaw%20cabinet.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    That is a nice set up Greg! I assum there are wheels under there?
    Ted, thanks,that is what i am thinking about and not 100% sure I will put a router table in but thinking about it. I very well may just make storage out of tht half as you suggest.

Corey
    Yes the wood levers on each end push the wheels down and make it mobile. If you wouild like more pics email me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    If figure the cabinet will be fairly easy to build, especially since I now have the Kreg pocket hole system,
    Just curious what people think about using pocket screws on something that is going to be moved around some (possibly over not so perfect floors). I ask because this is how I would like to build some mobile cabinets, but I am a bit concered about durability.

Thanks,
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Hi Dan, I personally am not concerned about using pocket holes in mobile cabs. I intend to glue and pockethole the cabinet together. From testing the jig, it makes very solid joints without glue, with glue you get all the advantages of a normal glue up plus somewhat built in clamping with the screws. It allows you to keep moving on the project instead of waiting for a clampled up project to dry. I expect that the cabinet will be much more stable for my machine then a standard mobile tool base. I think an important consideration is the wheels as well. You want to get a very stable wheel. I am thinking about some Grizzlies that have cast iron wheels and a neoprene or similar tire around it. Not sure if that is TOO rigid or not. I will have shelves in the cabinet and while not necessary, I may dado those in instead of pocket holing them. When I boght the Kreg, I bought a DVD on using it as well that was the construction of a Router Cabinet. It looked rock solid, of course that is very hard to tell from tv. We will see!

Thanks to all who have supplied photos and links. I have a great bunch cabinets and ideas to draw from when I make mine!

Corey