Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Well, another weekend has come and gone.

The wife wound up being sick enough this weekend to where I had to take her to the doctor this morning. I'm playing Taxi Dad today shuffling kids to dental appointments and such. Not much time in the shop this weekend due to family sicknesses and trying to get some painting done for the LOML.

Overall a nice weekend....

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Saturday we did some shopping--I picked up a couple old chisels at an antique mall. Spent a few hours Sunday in the shop doing cleanup and setting up a "temporary" sink which attaches by hose to the frost-free hydrant inside my shop so that I have a place to wash my hands and fill a container with water.

Not a lot of "personal" time in the shop, but lots of time in the shop, no less. Saturday afternoon, after we returned from some errands and visiting our good friend's new home not far down the road, I cleaned up a bit and did the prep work necessary for the four turning "students" I had coming on Sunday as part of our local AAW chapter's "Hands On Weekend" fundraiser. Saturday night, we attended a long but productive fundraiser for our Russian adoption hosting program...lots of money was raised to help with the costs of bringing 10 school-aged orphan children here this summer for three weeks of family living in adoptive parent's homes.

Sunday, after mightily struggling to get up after a late night and a lost hour (our friend "daylight savings time", of course) I taught basic turning techniques to four students--two three hour sessions of two students. I'll detail that in another thread in the Turning Forum as soon as I have time to deal with formatting the pictures. After cleaning up for the day, I took Dr. SWMBO out for a nice dinner at a local favorite restaurant (on my Boss, I might add, and at his request)...it was yummy, of course.

And then Monday morning came an hour earlier than last week...sheesh!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I got to do a little WW'ing this weekend. Ironed out a few last details and put a couple coats of poly on the never-ending poker table project. I tried some black transtint dye on the base I had originally planned to paint. Still might wind up painting it . I'm going to try to tint some sealcoat first to see if that evens out the dye job. Otherwise, it'll just be the sealer for the paint.
    Hopefully, the end is in sight.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I installed my parent's new counter tops on Saturday morning.

On Sunday I got to work most of the day in the shop on the cradle and on the dresser. Pics to come by weeks end, I hope, of the dresser.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

The highlight of the weekend was attending the woodworking show in Houston. I learned quite a bit about hand planes and went home to try out some of the techniques myself. While I did not have perfect results, I did like the direction that I was headed. I planed some curly maple instead of sanding it and it made a big difference. I got suckered into buying a veneering press for $150. It was normally $270 but the box was beat up. If it doesn't work, there is always ebay. I also talked the veneer guys into 7 packs for $50. I got some great stuff including some figured cherry that I'm dying to try out.
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

Went to the Houston Woodworking show on Friday and Sunday afternoon. Got to spend a few moments with 2 fellow creekers (Mike Temple and Mike Scoggins) and a few other friends of mine from my local AAW chapter (GCWA). As always, very enjoyable, although fewer vendors than usual.

Saturday, went shopping for materials for a kitchen floor and bathroom remodel. That should keep me busy for the next few weeks .

Also got to spend lots of time with my family all 3 days which seems to be more and more a rarity due to busy work schedules. Although no personal time in the shop, it was a great weekend

Brad

Framed and sheetrocked a 10' pantry closet in the basement on Saturday. Sunday was spent at the gallery meeting the owners and discussing the display of my work. Sunday evening was spent in pain watching the Yankee/Red Sox opener.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

I spent a couple hours Friday evening, about 4 hours Sat afternoon, and about 10 hours Sunday working on the west exterior wall of the shop rehab. Got quite a bit done, was tired, but happy with the progress. Pictures will be added to the Coolmeadow Creations shop rehab thread this evening. Jim.

Spent some time on Ebay, rather, a lot of time, watching and bidding on planes for my new addiction. Hand planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Spent some time on Ebay, rather, a lot of time, watching and bidding on planes for my new addiction. Hand planes.
    Hey Bro, what's up? Send some planes my way, wontcha???

I'm getting the lights up in my garage...finally updated my Garage-mah-hal project....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Hey Bro, what's up? Send some planes my way, wontcha???

I'm getting the lights up in my garage...finally updated my Garage-mah-hal project....
    Sure bro. How many do you want? Anything for a little Brother.
    So I see you are finally getting some lights up so you can see what's in that garage?

A long and busy weekend.

Still trying to get things done, we have a self-assigned deadline of April 9 to have the house listed.

* Painted the front of the house (or at least the majority of it).
    * Painted the garage walls and door, cleaned it
    * Painted the master closet and guest bedroom closets
    * Cleaned windows
    * Seeded and fertilized the yard
    * Packed some more stuff
    * Painted the entry (about 20' high)
    * Cleaned blinds
    * Visited my parents and left a small load of stuff that I really didn't want in storage
    * Had dinner and a movie at a friends Saturday evening

Totally wooped today, and one more heavy work (evenings) load this week.

Thank goodness, the wife helped on a few items.

Oh yeah, unboxed an Ebay present, a #3 Bailey. I have a couple more coming, but it will be next week before any new pics... just no time.

Hey Clardy, I am about done with my buying so more for ya.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

No woodworking this weekend. It's a sad time for my shop. We'll be relocating later this year and am trying to get the house ready for marketing. I don't want to pay to ship all of the shop, so I'm selling it off. Spent much of Saturday taking down old kitchen cabinets that I used in the shop, along with the dust collection "system" in preparation to advertise almost all of the equipment. I'll be posting it here first, before local advertising.
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    A long and busy weekend.

Still trying to get things done, we have a self-assigned deadline of April 9 to have the house listed.

* Painted the front of the house (or at least the majority of it).
    * Painted the garage walls and door, cleaned it
    * Painted the master closet and guest bedroom closets
    * Cleaned windows
    * Seeded and fertilized the yard
    * Packed some more stuff
    * Painted the entry (about 20' high)
    * Cleaned blinds
    * Visited my parents and left a small load of stuff that I really didn't want in storage
    * Had dinner and a movie at a friends Saturday evening

Totally wooped today, and one more heavy work (evenings) load this week.

Thank goodness, the wife helped on a few items.

Oh yeah, unboxed an Ebay present, a #3 Bailey. I have a couple more coming, but it will be next week before any new pics... just no time.

Hey Clardy, I am about done with my buying so more for ya.
    Lol. Yea. That one slipped by me. Glad you got it.
    I have a lot of them flying in here. The plane plan is for some of them to fly outa here, but that hasn't happened yet. My airport is getting congested.