Thread: PTAC units.

PTAC units.

Does anybody have a line on used PTAC units in the midwest? I think that's going to be my AC and back up heat in the shop. I live in Central Illinois so Chicago or Indianapolis or St Louis is in the ballpark.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Sorry, I looked for a year and never found what black hole they fall into.

Hotel / motel remodels are the best source. Now finding out when a hotel is doing a remodel is a different animal. Try visiting a local hotel / motel and find out who the owners are. Then send a letter to owner telling them that you are looking for a unit, and ask if they know of any close by remodel / upgrades happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Hotel / motel remodels are the best source. Now finding out when a hotel is doing a remodel is a different animal. Try visiting a local hotel / motel and find out who the owners are. Then send a letter to owner telling them that you are looking for a unit, and ask if they know of any close by remodel / upgrades happening.
    Good luck with that.

They tore down a motel about 300 yards off the road I take to and from work.

By the time I realized it, there was a pile of old mattresses left.

Think if I were looking for a unit like that, would check into contractors who do that type of work. Usually, when contractors do remodel work, they throw everything into a dumpster and the contents wind up in the landfill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Think if I were looking for a unit like that, would check into contractors who do that type of work. Usually, when contractors do remodel work, they throw everything into a dumpster and the contents wind up in the landfill.
    Apparently you have been out of the loop for the last ten years. First, under the Clean Air Act, freon must be captured and recycled. Next units are sent to scrap yard for recycling. There is a lot of copper in one of those units.

I have two in my shop, one for each office. I bought them new from Grainger. Little expensive but overall they are worth the cost.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

You could put a want-to-buy ad on Craigslist.

I bought the PTAC in my shop new from a Trane dealer in Belleville. Maybe a HVAC repair shop would know where the used ones go.

Kirk