Thread: A little "HOW" turning fun...

A little "HOW" turning fun...

Each year, Bucks Woodturners, our local AAW chapter, holds their "Hands On Weekend" event to raise funds for education and programing. "Students" make a small donation in exchange for spending time with various chapter members who provide learning experiences in their shop. Some sessions detail very specific techniques, such as segmented work or carving; others, such as those I hosted yesterday go straight for the basics.

I had two students in each 3 hour (or so) session and we concentrated on balance, tool handling and basic cutting techniques with the Ellsworth (side grind) gouge as well as how to make small turnings, start to finish, without remounting or reversing. This included using a glue block to mount the workpiece as a simple, inexpensive and effective way. We also talked about lathe features, finding the right spindle height and things to think about when buying one's "ultimate" lathe. Before the participants left, we went in the house to look at a bunch of turnings in my collection, both my work and that of others, so that they could see the possibilities...bowls, hollow vessels, platters, furniture parts and miniatures.

My two morning students, Steve and Manny had a fun time...and it was interesting for me since they were both left-handed and I'm a rightie. But realistically, turning is a "both handed" pursuit as the orientation of the wood and the cut ultimately control how you hold the tool. Steve had already taken David Ellsworth's three day course, so he got some useful review and "stick time" revolving around turning and parting off a finished bowl without reversing. Manny got some new experience with the versatility of the side-grind gouge and did a great job with his bowl.

The after noon was a real treat as it was a father/son duo, Tim and Matt. Young Matt, who discovered turning not long ago and saved up his money for a mini lathe got to do a whole lot of new things and found out just how much easier it is to turn bowls with a bowl gouge...his tool set only had spindle turning steel. And you know what...his first bowl turned out really great! Since my spindle height is at about 46", I had to build a quick-and-dirty platform for Matt, but once on the lathe, he was a fast learner, even with how to use the tool in various orientations to vary the cut from a rough shaping cut all the way to a finishing shear cut. He also did well hollowing and with a little more practice, he'll be cranking out bowls with the best of them. Tim, his dad, must have been paying attention during Matt's lessons as he also did a fine job for an essentially new turner.

This was a really pleasurable way to spend an April Sunday and my second year participating as a HOW mentor. And...there are even pictures:

1. Manny working at the lathe and refining the shape of his bowl
    2. Steve starting his finishing shear cuts...drop that tool a little more, Steve!
    3. Matt starts his hollowing after we shifted the platform around just a little
    4. Tim hollowing his bowl and using a lighter, finishing cut to smooth things out
    5. Matt shows his first bowl with his Dad after he carefully pared off the tiny nub with a small carving gouge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,
    Looks like a great time. I bet they love turning on that Stubby too. They are about as solid as a diesel engine block. I had the dubious honor of helping to move one at a club meeting from one room to the next and it was quite an undertaking! I'm glad the day was a success.
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Great post Jim, looks like every one had fun.
    Your pictures always seem to be outstandingly sharp and clear. What camera are you using and what kind of lighting. Sorry if you already answered this before, I must have missed it.

Richard

Richard, thanks for your kind comments on the pictures. I use a Nikon D70 digital SLR with just natural light and/or the internal flash. Photos are retouched in Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 for brightness/contrast/color balance and then resized. They are then sharpened slightly to restore the crispness that gets lost when you reduce a photo that is 3000 x 2000 pixels to about 600 x 400 pixels.
    --

Thanks Jim, sounds like a lot of work so we can see what your doing.

Richard

Jim, if you don't mind, what is the price on that Nikon?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Thanks Jim, sounds like a lot of work so we can see what your doing.
    'bout five minutes for those five pictures.

Jim, if you don't mind, what is the price on that Nikon?
    'Just over a grand with the current rebate. This is still a little higher than a number of the similar units available from Canon, Pentax, etc., but they still sell like hot-cakes apparently or the price would not have remained stable for so long. This is about the same as I paid nearly a year ago!
    --

Enjoyed the pictures. Looked like they leared a lot and had a great time.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

I love posts like this...It is great to help others and especially young ones...I have a few students in my studio occasionally...I have had some come back and tell me it change their whole approach to architcture....it gets you ...one of those things you can't put a price on or even explain
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

10. Good pictures and a good story to go with them. Teaching is always fun especially when the students are motivated.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
    Teaching is always fun especially when the students are motivated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    It is great to help others and especially young ones
    I agree. And I had never worked in the shop with a teen before (not exactly sure of Matt's age). Very rewarding. If I'm really lucky, our kids will take an interest.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-05-2005 at 8:47 AM.
    --

That is a very cool story Jim. I was actually jealous reading it. I need my girls to get a little bit older and they're moving into the shop with me.

Man! I envy you.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jim, that is a wonderful thing for you to have done. I think I can tell it was very rewarding for yourself as well. My father taught physics, geometry, and algebra and your story reminded me of when he would come home enthusiastic about students learning what he was trying to show them.
    Your story is a sign of an excellent instructor because I know he was.

Ernie