Thread: Need some advice on a couple of tools (DP and Planer)

Need some advice on a couple of tools (DP and Planer)

So there's an auction coming up this weekend and the auctioneer posts pics before hand.

I was looking at the DP. I like it cause it's a floor press. I have the room so I'm good there. Now I have a bench top but I get tired of adjusting the table all the time. I have to losen the collar, slide it around and hope it's centered if I'm making a through cut. So the ability to move a table up and down while keeping it square would be a plus.

The planer is a JET. I also have a planer though. It's a Craftsman 12" and does a great job...BUT

I've seen the DP new for $450, but the planer was showing around $1200 in some places. Course this one doesn't have the fancy stand and all

These two worth bidding on?

100_8928 (2).jpg100_8929.jpg100_8930.jpg100_8932 (2).jpg

That is a seriously old Jet. Remember Jet like Grizzly has been Asian built since the beginning, this means quality has gotten MUCH better, the opposite of names like Powermatic and Delta. Unless I got it for under $100 or REALLY wanted a project I wouldn't fool with the planer.

If I could verify the DP runs I would go $150 on it at the top end.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

That planer looks like an exact knock off of the Makita 2040 right down to the typeface on the name plate. It likely had rubber feed rollers which by now I'm sure have decayed into nothing.

As above, pass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    That planer looks like an exact knock off of the Makita 2040 right down to the typeface on the name plate. It likely had rubber feed rollers which by now I'm sure have decayed into nothing.

As above, pass on it.
    I knew I had seen "that" planer before and just couldn't place it! You can get those rollers recovered but it runs over $100 each...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I dont know anything about the jet planer but I have seen that craftsman drill press on craigslist for between 100 and 200 and they have all sold within a day or two.

Looks like ya'll saved me a little money...I'll probably pass on the planer. Figured being a JET, it might be a decent model. Glad I asked first!!!

I'll give the DP a once over and see where the bidding starts. It's not something I need, but for the right price, might end up in the shop anyway.

Who knows, may end up being a gloat