Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

18 June 2012

Good Morning,
    Well, it been hot and dry here. We really could use some rain, so if you have any to spare, please send it our way.
    I've been toying around with ideas on how to better organize my shop space. I would like for my boys to fix up my shop for me but this time of year makes it really difficult because it is really hot in my shop. Running a fan is like working inside a blow dryer.
    Spent time working Saturday for the day job and then it was church and bass playing on Sunday. Back at the day job today and while I'm in the cool of the day job, I'm tinkering with ideas about building an aquarium stand for a 55 gallon tank that I bought for $25. Hummmm, could be a nice project in my future.

Well, that's it for me....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

IMG_20120617_190859.jpg

Finally got around to getting the lumber up off of the ground

From Shop Notes plans, phase 2 will be to add the swing-out cart for sheet goods.

Blog Entries
    Glued up and flattened panels for my project. Watched EUFA group stage finales while glue dried.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

We got back Sunday from a week's vacation in Northern Ohio. We spent 1-1/2 days and 2 nights at Kalahari water park. Left there first thing Weds. morning and headed to Ohio Amish country. Stayed in Stow, OH and visited Hartville, the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, the Cleveland science center, and a number of other things. I only have minor water park injuries despite trying the indoor surfing thing twice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    We got back Sunday from a week's vacation in Northern Ohio. We spent 1-1/2 days and 2 nights at Kalahari water park. Left there first thing Weds. morning and headed to Ohio Amish country. Stayed in Stow, OH and visited Hartville, the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, the Cleveland science center, and a number of other things. I only have minor water park injuries despite trying the indoor surfing thing twice.
    Matt, My wife and I took the 3 grandkids to Kalahari Friday/Saturday, missed you by a day or so. Just as we got there, they were putting somebody on a backboard and loading him in an ambulance. What was he doing? Indoor surfing. Back home now and working on the Jeep getting ready for a few weeks up North. Don't do much WW in the summer with all of the distractions. But I do surf the Creek everyday.

I did go into the shop today to nail two 4x4's to a piece of ply to make an anvil thingy to beat a piece of 1/8" steel into submission. Does that count?
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 06-18-2012 at 1:03 PM.

We got there about 4 on Monday--had to wait for the last 1/2 day of school. It was our first time there. We've done Great Wolf in Wisconsin Dells as a last minute overnight stop on the way to Minneapolis 5 years ago and Great Wolf in Sandusky about 3 years ago which was a huge disappointment after GW in the Dells. We'll definitely be doing Kalahari again.

My injury was from rolling out of the tube at the end of one of the slides to find that the water was only 2' deep. Nice scrape on my knee from hitting the rough pool bottom. On the surfing thing, I got to where where I could roll over without wiping out. What a blast. I wouldn't have done it but this was a PTA sponsored thing so our next door neighbor was there too and he egged me on. I won't ever try standing up on the thing though. I'd sprain my ankle (again) for sure!

I had a rather full weekend. Friday through Sunday I worked a facility shutdown, unracking a dozen servers and disk shelves, recabling etc... And then waiting for the electrical crew to do their thing...

Saturday I let LOML talk me into going with her to the ladies clothing store... "Gee honey Harbor Freight is right there. You don't need me waiting around for you to try that on do you?"

I made sure a fistful of new HF I/M quick connect kits came home with me, along with a 50' 3/8" Polyurethane air hose. I have PVC, I have a Hitachi PU hose, while this is no Hitachi, it should work for what I want to use it for. I also came home with a pack of paint strainer cones.

I also managed to get the new couplers installed, new hose in place, and everything, including my recent purchase of the HF filter / regulator tested. No leaks at all for once in my air system. I am happy as a clam! Okay I could use a bigger compressor but other than that...

I also managed to take the time to rebuild an underbuilt french cleat system and re hang my shop library cabinet, assemble 2 HF roller stands that have been stashed in a corner for months, and spent lots of quality time cleaning the shop. I likewise managed to get one of my workbenches cleared off. I think the other one is doomed...

I need to now figure out where to store these HF roller stands...

Tonight, I get to make dinner, tacos with Pico De Gallo.... It was going to be Crock Pot chicken tacos, but somebody forgot to start them this morning... Ooops...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Customer picked up 50 picture frames Thursday Night. Gotta love CNC!

Friday a field trip to a Wildlife Prarie Park with Megan my 5 year old. Long Day!

Saturday nothing - started a new v-carved vector for a Cowboy Font sign - stayed in air conditioning - ordered steak for carry out from Outback. Started discussing building a ticket blaster like they have it chuck e cheese with Megan.

Sunday - Fathers day Got a card from my 2 year old who told me not to put bugs on it or put it on fire (we have been cleaning up some bon fire wood. Megan gave me a homemade card with a paper fan and a drawing of a pond and a catfish we had caught 3 weeks ago and then a ballet dance to swan lake (three songs long), while dressed in polka dots and orange fuzzy socks, that also included some guitar and keyboard she added last minute. At one point she said Dad, you are going to want to watch my feet for this one. Then lunch and swimming - My 2 year old Lily was so tired she passed out eating an ice cream cone. Perfect weekend and got NOTHING done I wanted to do.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

We tore the shingles, roof, and rafters off the old shop. Got the new joists set and got all the leftovers in the dumpster. I'm sore as a boiled owl but got the sheeting on the floor over the old portion and waterproofed it for now. Then loml horswaggled me into putting the extra batt insulation in the attic of the house. It was a long day.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Well, I put in the last bit of work completing the new lumber rack in the 2nd floor of my shop building on Sunday and got started with filling it. I have about 1500 bd ft of poplar that's been drying for awhile and it can't stay outside any longer. (in hindsight, I should have got it moved a year ago...but hindsight is golden) Since I'm off work this week, I continued where I left off on Sunday through Tuesday...and have most of the pile skim planed and stacked in the rack. I just have about 2' of height left on the pile and about half of that is thicker material and wide slabs...the latter I can't really surface before storing anyway. (Whoda thunk a nearly 14" wide planer wouldn't be wide enough...heh...heh)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fought with getting an over half ton jointer in the shop then making my brain hurt staring at some serious wiring in the starter... still haven't figured it out...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.