Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a good color temp for fluorescent lights for the workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Blank View Post
    I just converted some 48" two-bulb T-12 fixtures to T-8s and used 5000K Phillips bulbs in the new T-8s. No pun, but it is night and day difference between the old T-12s and the new T-8s. I do not know what the color temp was on the T-12s, but I'll not ever use anything cooler than 5000K.

I can't advise on the finish and color match issue. I always take stuff over near a window or outside to check color. SWMBO says I still mess up.

Tom
    My experience mirrors yours, except for the finishing part. I decided to experiment with one fixture seeing as T-12 production ends this month. I bought an advance ballast and i think Philips T-8 6000K 84 CRI tubes. I found it easy to switch out and made a WORLD of perceived difference. I gave all the fixtures in working spaces the same treatment. 'Brighter' light and use about 30% less electricity checked via ammeter. Except for initial outlay what's not to like?

My shop uses Philips T-8 bulbs with a 98 CRI rating. They were expensive, but are worth it. Hummingbirds fly in and buzz the lights until they are turned off. There is an intangible "feel" to lighting. High CRI bulbs just "feel" good. I have no idea how to actually explain it. It's the difference between office light and sunshine.

Well, I didn't shell out for 98 CRI bulbs, but even the jump into the 90s for me had a very noticeable impact.

I might swap some out over my finishing area at some point.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I see what you folks mean by the price of CRI 98 fluorescents! As many of you know I'm moving into a new home with a 4-car garage / shop in a few weeks, plan a lighting upgrade and just ran the numbers.

Using Jack Lindsey's formula, my 4-car garage will need 96 four foot 2,000 lumen bulbs. I then went looking for the best high CRI bulb I could find and located the Phillips ToughGuards with a CRI of 98 and a plastic outer coating to prevent glass flying everywhere should a bulb break. These are found http://www.amazon.com/Philips-168948...2T8%2FTL950+TG

Unfortunately they sell for $42.49 plus freight EACH. This works out to $4,100 for the bulbs. Now, they are listed as having a 20,000 hour life which, for my use, would be all I ever need but DANG that's a LOT of $$$ for bulbs... not counting the light fixtures or installation!!

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    I see what you folks mean by the price of CRI 98 fluorescents!
    Unfortunately they sell for $42.49 plus freight EACH.
    {THUD} Sorry folks. Please excuse me as I retrieve my jaw from the floor. Wow, I thought that must be a pricing mistake, or a box of 8, or...

I'd like to experience the apparently fantastic light output of these guys but I guess I'll be waiting for the onward march of technology and mass production to bring the price down to--oh, I don't know--maybe a twenty bucks a pop! I had no idea you can pay that much for a single bulb!

6. FYI The Phillips bulbs with a 98 CRI can be had for $10-$12 per bulb If you don't get the toughguard. I know when the time comes I'm doing my shop in them.

78 is not a good CRI. Get it up into the mid 80's. I'm currently running a mix of 3500 and 4000K, and I'm pretty happy.

I just put in Sylvania Octron high efficiency T8 bulbs in the shop. Just upgraded the 40 year old ballasts to new Sylvania high efficiency ballasts. I used 25 watt T8 4100 color temp CRI 85. I'm very happy. I would have preferred to find higher CRI bulbs but it seems that above 85 CRI you sacrifice efficiency. I replaced 36 T12 40 watts bulbs and I was trying to reduce the heat output without reducing light. I'm very happy with the lighting level and color.

If you do some internet research you will find that incandescent light is very even across the color spectrum and other light sources are not. They add more special coatings and phosphors to the high CRI bulbs but that cuts light output.