Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini-split AC brand and vendor recommendation wanted

Mini-split AC brand and vendor recommendation wanted

Since San Antonio is a little bit warm in the summer, I am thinking of installing a mini-split AC for the garage. I am thinking a 24,000 BTU single split system. Any suggestions on a brand and a vendor to purchase it from? I plan on doing a self-install.

Regards

John

I've got LG 30k BTU mini-split, bought online, love it. Easy to install. Don't forget to get a bigger unit if you have heavy-heat generating machines like a cyclone.

I looked online for a new furnace and AC for the house, wanted to purchase new and use the old ac on the shop. Found a company online that sells the units shipped with free freight, and then talked to my local guy, and the local guy beat them about 150$. Of course, I also talked to the lady at the company that installed my old units, and it would have been significantly more. But the estimator didn't bother to come and give me a price.
    Now I have central air in my shop. Worked on the duct all afternoon and this evening for a while, and still don't have it together.

I've got a Daikin And works great. I was told by several installer friends that Daikin was the best and they sell other brands!

Mitsubishi "Mr. Slim" models have a great reputation. We used to use them in cellular sites where they ran 24/7.

i like the mitsubishi mr. slim. but i imagine that any of the reputable manufactures would be good. you did list anything about the garage so its hard to say if the 24k btu is enough.

I guess I didn't give all the details of the garage. It is a three car garage with no insulation in either the walls or ceiling. One wall backs to cooled space in the house. I found a simplified manual J calculation (was for a whole house application). Total area 690 sq ft 8ft 4 inch ceiling ht 88 ft of perimeter wall.

Depending on the insulation assumption and cooling design temperature I got the following values from the calculation.

No insulation
    90 F 14.7 kBTU/hr 95 F 17.5 kBTU/hr 100F 20.2 kBTU/hr 105F 23.0 kBTU/hr

R7 in walls and R11 in attic (walls have peg board that previous owner put in that should be easy to take off and insulate behind)
    90 F 5.1 kBTU/hr 95 F 6.0 kBTU/hr 100F 7.0 kBTU/hr 105F 8.4 kBTU/hr

A little bit of insulation appears to make a big difference.

Calculations did not take into account heat load from water heater that lives in a closet off the garage or running tools (but I am heading more the neander direction any way)

I do plan on insulating when I can, but the garage will have plenty of air leaks. I would like a unit that I can set to dehumidify to keep the moisture down.
    There does seem to be a wide range of prices on the units.

Those of you who have bought on line how was your experience with the vendors and would you suggest them?

Thanks

John

Buy from a reputable name brand. I have a no-name unit (likely Chinese), and fortunately it has stayed working. My friend bought two identical units, and when they had problems, they were unfixable.

I would personally go with a Mitsubishi or LG.

You'll love having a split AC unit. Makes all the difference in the world.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I just had a 18k / btu Mitsubishi Mr. Slim installed in my insulated 400 sq/ft garage and I couldn’t be happier.

Sam

We have a Mitsubishi Mr Slim that cools our server room and has been in continuous use for over 6 years now. Only thing it does not like are power outages and cottonwood trees. Those are the only two issues we have had as we lost a couple fuses due to power problems and the condenser plugged up with cotton. For the price it has been a great unit.

Mark

I would buy Mitsubishi or Fujitsu. I don't think there is any appreciable difference - in performance, construction or cost - between the main brands, but I learned the hard way (with a Sanyo unit) that most HVAC companies only install these two brands, as at least around here, those are the only two brands sold by the supply houses. From what I can tell, Mitsubishi and Fujitsu have put more effort into selling their brand to HVAC companies.

As a result, if you need a repair, especially under warranty, you're way better off with a Mitsubishi or Fujitsu than a Sanyo/Panasonic, LG, Friedrich, etc. In my experience, most HVAC types are always looking for an excuse to justify higher costs, and subpar service - and an "unfamiliar" brand is a great excuse...

I just did a bunch of research on mini-splits and the advice above is consistent with what I found. Pretty much everybody loves Mitsubishi (Mr. Slim) and Fujitsu. I couldn't afford those brands, since they run around $2k+. I know you get what you pay for, but I couldn't stand sweating through another Texas summer without getting something in the shop. So I ended up getting a 1 ton Amvent unit off Amazon for $800 with lineset included, no shipping, no tax. My shop is smaller than yours and mine is insulated, so I think you'll need a 1.5 or 2 ton. My HVAC guy is going to install it today or tomorrow... I'll let you know.
    Soli Deo Gloria.
    Chief Sawdust Maker, LoneStar Artisans
    Chief Sawdust Maker, The BoardSMITH
    Secretary, North Texas Woodworkers Association

I'm leaning towards one of the LG systems right now. The one I like LS246HV seems to show up as discontinued from some of the vendors. I am still keeping an eye out for the Mr. Slim and Fujitsu units but they seem a little more expensive and less available.

Who are the good online retailers for these systems? There seems to be a bit of a range of vendors. If you purchased online, could you give me an idea of your experience with the vendor?

John L. -- How did the install go? Good to hear from an NTWA member (I was on the board until I moved to San Antonio in 2006)

Thanks for the help

John

Does the MR Slim, etc mini split systems, do they require a gas line? Or do they run off just electricity? My Neighboor hood only has Electric available.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Anguiano View Post
    Does the MR Slim, etc mini split systems, do they require a gas line? Or do they run off just electricity? My Neighboor hood only has Electric available.

Adrian, the one that I had was 240VAC only; as I recall it only required a 20A circuit too.