Thread: Wild Black Cherry Bowl

Wild Black Cherry Bowl

This 12.5 inch wide X 4.75 inch high wild black cherry bowl has malachite, red coral, and coffee grounds in the inlay. I am still trying to improve my inlay work. The bowl is finished with multiple coats of polymerized tung oil, polyurathane, and turpentine in equal amounts then buffed with the Beal System.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Glenn, I really like this bowl! The inlay really sets it off!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Great bowl, Glenn,
    Did you use a power carver to cut out for the inlay or did you use something like a dremel tool?

After you put all you finishes on and when you buffed it, did you use all three of the wheels, or just the carnuba wax wheel?

Since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, maybe I'd like to sincerely flatter you, on down the road that is...

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

Beautiful piece of work, Glenn! The wood color is gorgeous and the form is perfect! The inlay is very creative. How thin is that bowl?
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Wow Glen, I really like the bowl-- good form, and the contrasting inlay makes it perfect! Thanks for sharing.
    Jerry

Glenn: All I can say is WOW!! Beautiful in every way.
    Ed

Glen, that is really nice. Just a beautiful piece.

Ernie

Great Looking Bowl. I Like The Shine That It Has. Keep Up The Great Work.

I really appreciate all the nice compliments, thanks. I carved the outlines of the inlays with a Fordom like carver I purchased from Harbor Freight, and then I used an electric Proxxon carver to remove the inner wood. I found it takes to long time to remove the inner wood with the Fordom type grinding carver because I only have small burr bits. The walls are a little less that .5 inch thick, and the finish was so nice on this one I only had to use the white diamond and carnuba wax buffs with the Beal System. If I had needed it I would have used them all.
    I took this one to the North Florida Woodturners meeting last night for show and tell. When I got up to show it I said it was just another small wild cherry bowl (I was holding the inlay toward me). As I was talking about the bowl, and turning the bowl so the inlay would face the audience, when the inlay came into their view they started talking about it. Some turners like inlays, and some don't. I think they are a way to spice up a boring piece of wood.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"