Thread: Forum Selection

Forum Selection

Is the ability to preselect certain forums coming back/ It was a really nice feature.

Thanks,
    Jim

Jim,

The New Posts Feature you are asking about was disabled when our Server Administrator Aaron Koehl updated our vBulletin software a couple weeks ago. The people at vBulletin made some changes to their code which will require Aaron to completely re-write his New Post hack. According to Aaron it will take him about eight hours to program and test the feature.

The problem we have is that Aaron's schedule for the last few years has left him little time to dedicate to The Creek. Aaron has almost completed his PHD at William and Mary College, he has just one more paper to publish. On top of his educational goals Professor Koehl started teaching at Christopher Newport University last fall and he has a home, wife and is expecting his first child in late July or early August.

Aaron has the New Posts fix on his work list and he will eventually install the feature for us to enjoy but it might be awhile. I have been supporting Aaron's educational goals from high school, undergraduate study at CNU, Masters program at the University of Virginia to his current goal to complete his PHD at William and Mary. I have been waiting a long time for the celebration that is just around the corner

Obviously, we are really proud of Aaron and all he has accomplished. He is incredibly talented and his contribution here over the last nine years is immeasurable.

Who knows, maybe next summer Aaron will use his time off from CNU to develop the ultimate Killer App for SawMill Creek. We have been waiting patiently for many years.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-24-2012 at 7:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    Remove quotes to use - "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=17,20,34,43,42,38,57, 8,26&sort=date"

Each forum has a number. Change my number choices to the numbers that correspond to the forums you wish to exclude from the new posts list. Someone was good enough to post the forum titles and their numbers in a previous discussion of this but, I cannot find it right now. You can get a forum's number by inspecting the element or by rolling over the forum title (depending on your browser). HTH
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-24-2012 at 10:33 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Here is the post that Glenn mentions.

I've used that system for quite some time now - with more forums than just SMC. I have a bookmark for each forum with a search in those parameters so that I can quickly just see the new posts in the forums I want to follow and disregard all of the rest.

Thanks Glenn. That works perfectly(Hardly had to change any numbers either!

Keith,
    I understand perfectly. More power to Aaron and for all you and he both have done for this forum.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Remove quotes to use - "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=17,20,34,43,42,38,57, 8,26&sort=date"

Each forum has a number. Change my number choices to the numbers that correspond to the forums you wish to exclude from the new posts list. Someone was good enough to post the forum titles and their numbers in a previous discussion of this but, I cannot find it right now. You can get a forum's number by inspecting the element or by rolling over the forum title (depending on your browser). HTH
    thanks for the tip Glenn!
    In order as listed in the index here are the forum numbers

49-Forum-Info-and-Community-Discussion
    7-Forum-Tech-Support

39-Lumber-Yard

28-Member-Interviews

12-Off-Topic-Forum

50-Woodworking-Topics
    3-General-Woodworking-and-Power-Tools

40-WorkShops

51-Woodworking-by-Hand-and-Specialties
    20-Turner-s-Forum

4-Neanderthal-Haven

43-Woodcarvers-Forum

42-Boat-Building

57-Musical-Instruments

52-Finishing-Design-and-Finished-Projects
    5-Design-Forum

23-Project-Finishing

29-Woodworking-Projects

13-Woodworking-Articles-and-Reviews

53-Woodworking-Hi-Tech-and-Manufacturing
    8-Engravers-Forum

38-CNC-Machines

35-Sign-Design-and-Fabrication

59-Metalworking

54-Deals-Discounts-and-Classified-Ads
    44-Deals-and-Discounts

10-SawMill-Creek-Classifieds

55-SawmillCreek-Giveaways-and-Good-Causes

17-Freedom-Pens

34-SawMill-Creek-Store

16-FreeStuff-Drawings!

21-Sponsored-Forums
    47-Software

19-Private-Forums
    56-Authors
    Carpe Lignum

Just bumping this up again. Are there plans to put the "sort" feature back in?

Thanks,
    Jim

Jim,

Aaron will be off for the Summer in two weeks. Our first chore is to upgrade our server, the parts are all here and we are ready to go. I will see if Aaron thinks that he can restore the search feature based on what we know about the programing changes that vBulletin has done. If he thinks it will require a total re-write of the software it may not ever be able to be restored. I hope this is not what happens as I really enjoyed the search routine that Aaron created.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Just bumping this up again. Are there plans to put the "sort" feature back in?

Thanks,
    Jim
    I am with you Jim....... I really liked that feature.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Just bumping this up to the top again. Any possibilities that it can be done??

Thanks,
    Jim