Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning/finishing old wood (Typesetters trays)...few questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Might want to pickup a lead testing kit too.
    Why? Just curious. Does it affect the finish/cleaning?
    They were never painted, but if they were, why would it matter even if it was lead paint? Lead paint would literally have to be flaking off..and someone would have to eat it all for it to be harmful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Hurley View Post
    Why? Just curious. Does it affect the finish/cleaning?
    They were never painted, but if they were, why would it matter even if it was lead paint? Lead paint would literally have to be flaking off..and someone would have to eat it all for it to be harmful.
    No doubt these contain residual lead. A kit will only confirm this. Wipe them down, and seal them with a film finish, you will be fine.

That goes back to my original question...
    What's a good finish to use that will keep them looking original and not shiny? (or is that unavoidable?) I want them to be sage, but look as original as possible, keeping their patina

They were never painted, but if they were, why would it matter even if it was lead paint?
    Those boxes held (in all probablility) lead linotype & could be loaded with residue.

Lead paint would literally have to be flaking off..and someone would have to eat it all for it to be harmful.
    I don't make the rules & the rules vary state to state.
    If they do test positive for lead, it's in your best interest to find out what your local lead laws are.

The EPA and the CDC and the CPA have become death on lead and asbestos.

Those boxes held (in all probablility) lead linotype & could be loaded with residue.

I don't make the rules & the rules vary state to state.
    If they do test positive for lead, it's in your best interest to find out what your local lead laws are.

The EPA and the CDC and the CPA have become death on lead and asbestos.
    I agree there might be lead residue on the surface from lead linotype...but that's why I want to clean it.
    In my state there are no laws saying I can't have wooden boxes with lead residue.

If I clean and seal that I am assuming that negates the whole lead issue either way...maybe I'm wrong...

'I may be under a wrong impression here.
    I got the impression from your opening post that these boxes are destined for someone else's house:

"Ideally these will be hanging in people's houses."

'I may be under a wrong impression here.
    I got the impression from your opening post that these boxes are destined for someone else's house:

"Ideally these will be hanging in people's houses."
    Ya, that's correct.
    The opening post was also about cleaning and finishing them...at that point they wouldn't have lead residue...so I would only need to be concerned with "lead laws" while I have them and while I'm cleaning them...

The opening post was also about cleaning and finishing them...at that point they wouldn't have lead residue...
    Ok - I'm done w/this.
    If you want the potential liability of selling an item that's probably tainted with a hazardous material, and you're plan is to guess at having removed it or not - lotsa luck w/that one.
    After you've "cleaned" them, how in the world - other than guess- are you going to know you've removed the residue?
    I go back to my initial post - pick up a lead testing kit.

BTW - "cleaning" them is or can be an involved process in itself. The rags, the liquids and everything else used in the process may need to be treated as hazardous waste.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 07-01-2012 at 6:24 AM.

OK...thanks.
    Dozens of these (Uncleaned) are sold on ebay every day to people in every state in the country...and I've never turned on the news and seen the FBI arresting families for having a piece of wood that was once touched by a piece of lead in there house. This is being blown completely out of proportion. If everything that was ever touched by a piece of lead was a hazardous material and illegal, 90% of the houses in America would have to be torn down. Not to mention, lead is only "hazardous" if you eat about a pound of lead based paint, etc. So if I wasn't planning on cleaning these, the amount of residue would in no way register on any level has hazardous.

The legal issues of lead has nothing to do with the initial question that I asked.
    I understand it can be a more complicated process than I thought cleaning and finishing these...that's why I asked here. I am completely new to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    No doubt these contain residual lead. A kit will only confirm this. Wipe them down, and seal them with a film finish, you will be fine.
    Sorry for the stupid question...but what defines a "film" finish? What would be a good natural looking one to use on these?
    Thanks!

Shellac would be my choice.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Shellac would be my choice.
    Will it give them a sheen? I want to try and stay away from making them look "shiny"
    Thanks!

One light coat may not have any sheen. Steelwool will knock the shine down if ther is any. Also the Shellac Flat product I mentioned in an early post can may shellac semi gloss to dead flat.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Ya, I think I may try that shellac flat! Sounds like what I'm looking for