Thread: Hair comb design?

Hair comb design?

To anyone who has ever created a hair comb my question is which is the best direction to run the grain? My prob. is that when I ran it so that the back of comb would be the strongest the teeth failed.On my first one I ran the grain in the same as the teeth and the whole comb broke. Maybe my wood choice was not the best but I chose it for the nice coloring. I know that I should have left more on the ends but I actually did at first but the ends broke and I had to scale the length down a bit as a way to cover up the breakage. One small caveat I suppose in full disclosure is that I have the worlds worst scroll saw that has a ton of vibration.
    This here comb is 1/8 in thick.TIA

bins scematic.jpeg

PS Isn't it ironic that I am hairless except for a beard.
    Last edited by Jamie Schmitz; 06-29-2012 at 5:55 PM.

This website http://www.kisomura.net/en/04technique.html might provide a few pointers.

CH

Caspar, that is a very interesting site. Thank you for the link.

I made pic type combs from an old "Mother Earth News" project book. The grain runs the direction of the teeth. The back was probably 3/8".
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I have a comb from Siberia. There are two pieces of wood glued together. The teeth have grain running the same direction as the teeth, the back has grain running the length of the back. It has a tiny little groove and spline that gives a little reinforcement. The construction can be seen in the picture because after 18 years, the back has pulled away from the teeth. But that is after 18 years of use, and it still works just fine. It is probably birch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!