Thread: How not to find that you have a leak in the kitchen sink!

How not to find that you have a leak in the kitchen sink!

Decided to walk through the shop last night from another part of the basement. As soon as I turned on the light, my eyes were immediately drawn to a brownish orange colored object sitting on my table saw extension which happens to be sitting directly under the kitchen sink. Yes, you guessed it, the sink, or more likely the disposal had leaked and was dripping water on my new JET mini lathe. This ever happen to any of you? Misery loves company you know.
    Oh well, at least it will match the stain on my table saw from the time I left that board sit on it overnight that I thought was dry.
    Scott

I have read this before unfortunately. At least you caught it before it ruined more tools. Good luck getting it fixed!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I cleaned-up under the sink last night, and it was still dry this morning. I dont know why or where the leak came from.

Me too!

This happened to me last month! The kitchen sink leaked onto my table saw. My wife told me about the leak. When I asked if she had looked in the basement, she said one of my big peices of equipment had gotten wet.

Faster than a speeding moron I raced to the basement found my Jet saw turning an ugly shade of rust and proceded to scrub it with scotch bright and chemical rust remover until I was satisfied. Needless to say I was late for work.

The moral of the story: If you have a basement shop - locate your equipment so that it is not positioned under plumbing!

I had a leak from above sometime last year. The dishwasher would leak water on the drain cycle that was ending up in the shop. Fortunately the water ended up on the floor and not on any of my equipment.

A couple months ago I had a leak from the bottom of our kitchen sink. It is a double sink. It took me a while to figure out where and why.

My wife regularly uses the left hand side of the sink for washing dishes, and usually uses the drain stopper to fill up only the left side of the sink.

This time she filled up the right side of the sink to thaw out a turkey ... that's where the leak came from ... at the bottom of the right hand sink. The big retaining nut had come loose, allowing water to leak around the gasket at the bottom. When the stopper was not in the right hand sink, the water always ran quickly straight down the drain and did not leak out.
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Scott, about a year ago a plastic bottle of rug cleaner fell out of a kitchen cupboard. When it fell, the top cracked and it leaked through the kitchen floor under the baseboard molding. I found a whole bottle of the stuff sitting on top of my new Delta planer ! I was able to clean it off and wax the planer and it sustained no damage, but now I'm very conscientious on where I place my tools. I have considered hanging a plastic sheet on the ceiling to catch any more leaks. I shudder to think what would happen if the dishwasher solenoid stuck and flooded the kitchen !!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

I've nearly convinced my wife that I should set up a basement shop in our next house... Now you're telling me that pipes leak and damage pretty tools??? What do I do???
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

My Story

The leak came from the garbage disposal. The leak was not noticed until my wife turned on the diswasher. She usually does that as we go to bed. The next morning my shop was flooded. The garbage disposal had rusted through and the dishwasher pumped waste water into the disposal!

I was thinking of rigging a "water diverter" to chanel the water along the rafters and over to the basement sink. THis is about the third time in six years that it has happened.
    Scott