Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a good respirator

I need a good respirator

I would like a respirator with replaceable cartridges, both for organic vapors (painting, etc.) and dust protection while woodworking. I have tried the disposable paper masks, and don't like the poor fit to my face. I also have two different respirators with replaceable cartridges that I got at HD and Lowe's, but the thing I don't like about them is the narrow elastic straps that hold it to my face. They stretch out from the weight of the mask and I frequently have to re-tighten them. Is there any respirator out there that doesn't use the cheap & flimsy elastic straps? What do you pros use that have to wear respirators hour after hour?

3M 7500 should meet all your criteria. I haven't seen problems with stretching. I actually have 2 now, one with the OV cartridges and one with P100 cartridges. They make them in different sizes, but you might have a hard time finding anything but medium in a big box store.

I found a safety supply store that stocks all the components so you can buy a mask that fits right, then the cartridges you need. I think they might even have replacement straps. They are pretty inexpensive too.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 07-02-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Check out the R Z mask there was a good review from a member that does a lot of carving and engraving that said it was the best she ever used.

What's your budget? I've seen some respirators go for $1000.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Good that you are considering the fit Lex. It is my understanding that the biggest determinant of functionality for respirators is a close fit to the face (along with whether it gets used to begin with)

I like the hearing protection motto: The best hearing protection device is the one that gets used.

Same with the respirator - make sure its comfortable and easy to use. Also make sure you dont have a beard, stranged shaped face, etc... .all which can allow leakage/bypass of the respirator itself. (have seen some data on beards that show it renders a respirator mostly useless. One of the places I worked didnt allow facial hair for just this reason). Make sure it is a good fit against the face to seal against bypass (some are better than others for this, and your face shape may vary)

If the straps are stretched out then likely not creating a close fit. But I dont know of any that dont use straps. Even the full face I use has elastic straps to pull it snug.
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 07-02-2012 at 10:50 AM.

I wear a Trend Airshield Pro for machine work, and an air supplied hood for spraying. Since I have a beard, or scruff, most of the time, there really is no other solution other than positive pressure keeping the nasties out. None of it is cheap, but then again it's not ridiculously expensive and it's pretty comfortable.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 07-02-2012 at 12:04 PM.

+1 on the 3M 7500, and the cartridges have wide availability, although they can be cheaper online it is nice to know you almost certainly can pick them up locally.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

+2 on the 7500. Fits well and works well. Easy to find cartridges.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I don't know if the medium or large would fit me better, but they're inexpensive enough that it won't break the bank if I guess wrong. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    What's your budget? I've seen some respirators go for $1000.
    That's a little more than I was planning on spending!

On size--with the medium I felt like I needed the straps tight for a good seal. Not true with the large. I almost wonder if that's not what you are describing?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Good that you are considering the fit Lex. It is my understanding that the biggest determinant of functionality for respirators is a close fit to the face (along with whether it gets used to begin with)

I like the hearing protection motto: The best hearing protection device is the one that gets used.

Same with the respirator - make sure its comfortable and easy to use. Also make sure you dont have a beard, stranged shaped face, etc... .all which can allow leakage/bypass of the respirator itself. (have seen some data on beards that show it renders a respirator mostly useless. One of the places I worked didnt allow facial hair for just this reason). Make sure it is a good fit against the face to seal against bypass (some are better than others for this, and your face shape may vary)

If the straps are stretched out then likely not creating a close fit. But I dont know of any that dont use straps. Even the full face I use has elastic straps to pull it snug.
    I'm not opposed to straps, just cheap ones that stretch easily and won't stand up to the weight of the mask. An inexpensive dive mask seals well and keeps water out under pressure, so why can't someone make a respirator with heavier-duty straps, instead of the cheesey 1/4-inch elastic straps? One of life's little agravations.

+3 on the 3M respirators. Mine is not the 7500, but one thing I would get is one that will quickly disconnect and allow you to keep the respirator fastened around your neck. Mine does not and it can be a nuesaince at times. Lab Safety Supply has a large selection on-line. If you think you are in between a medium and large, get the smaller.

I got fit-tested for one when I did a dust collection survey in a chlorine plant. I thought medium would fit me, but I couldn't get it to seal during the fit test, so I had to use a small. Believe me, you know quickly when its leaking in a chlorine plant. All the employees there used full-face respirators, but they were wearing them all day, everyday.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I wear a Trend Airshield for machine work, and an air supplied hood for spraying. Since I have a beard, or scruff, most of the time, there really is no other solution other than positive pressure keeping the nasties out. None of it is cheap, but then again it's not ridiculously expensive and it's pretty comfortable.
    Thanks John. I'm looking at powered respirators on Amazon now, and $400+ is a little more than I'd like to spend, but like you said, it's not ridiculously expensive either. I see from the reviews that some people like that they can wear glasses under the mask and they won't fog up, so that's another tick mark in the "plus column" for getting a powered respirator.

Apparently Grainger bought Lab Safety Supply. Labsafety.com sends you to Grainger. They have half masks and powered respirators as well with a lot of different brands. I have the 6000 series 3M, but would get the 7500 if buying again. Like Matt referred to, if you have to get the straps really tight, it may be due to the mask size or construction of the sealing piece. I have a half mask from Woodcraft that i can't get it to seal at all, but the 3M mask seals pretty easily. A good half mask is a huge step-up from a paper filter both in terms of comfort, sealing, and filtration. I have the P100 dust filters and a set for VOCs and other gasses.