Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a good respirator

Thanks everyone for your input. I just ordered a 3M 7503 (large) respirator with a pair of 2091 P100 filters. One nice thing that I learned about this half-mask, is that I can add a 3M dual air hose accessory to convert it to a powered respirator. And of course, 3M filters and cartridges are readily available. It's nice to have choices.

A question for the group here on fogging of glasses - this is an issue for me.

I always assumed that if my glasses were fogging it was because there was a warm air leak up around my nostrils allowing my breath to divert up under my glasses.

That is - a poor seal.

If the respirator is properly sealed, would glasses still fog?? (in other words if you fog your glasses then its false security in that your respirator isnt working?)

It might not be this at all.... but just throwing the though process out there for the group to chime in on

Your exhaled breath contains a lot of moisture, so that could be the cause of the fogging. One of the reviews on Amazon for the 3M 7500 respirator specifically stated that this respirator has a downward-facing exhaust valve, and it prevents glasses from fogging up (and I am a glasses wearer, so that also helped sway me to order this respirator.)

+1 for the air-supplied hood

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    A question for the group here on fogging of glasses - this is an issue for me.

I always assumed that if my glasses were fogging it was because there was a warm air leak up around my nostrils allowing my breath to divert up under my glasses.

That is - a poor seal.

If the respirator is properly sealed, would glasses still fog?? (in other words if you fog your glasses then its false security in that your respirator isnt working?)

It might not be this at all.... but just throwing the though process out there for the group to chime in on
    Carl, I would suspect that it is a poor seal, but I have had my glasses fog at times when not wearing a respirator. However, that is one of the reasons I don't like the paper masks, is they always seem to fog my safety glasses, and I know they have a poor seal when I use them.

Try tightening the straps, if you have to tighten too much where it is uncomfortable, consider a different size.

Mike

I have zero dust collection in my "shop" (read 3rd car garage). I'm going to start addressing that with a respirator. I found this thread from 2012 and think I'll get the 3M 7500 from Amazon and give that a shot. Quite a few of the commentors thought it was a good respirator. Just wondering if guys still feel that way about it? I also have zero clue whether to order a small, medium or large. I don't believe I have a particularly large head and also don't have a peanut head. I guess I'll shoot for the medium and hope that's the right size. What filters do you recommend to protect from sawdust? How often do you find it necessary to change filters?

Thanks as always!
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 07-21-2017 at 3:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    I have zero dust collection in my "shop" (read 3rd car garage). I'm going to start addressing that with a respirator. I found this thread from 2012 and think I'll get the 3M 7500 from Amazon and give that a shot. Quite a few of the commentors thought it was a good respirator. Just wondering if guys still feel that way about it? I also have zero clue whether to order a small, medium or large. I don't believe I have a particularly large head and also don't have a peanut head. I guess I'll shoot for the medium and hope that's the right size. What filters do you recommend to protect from sawdust? How often do you find it necessary to change filters?

Thanks as always!
    Mike
    Mike,

I haven't tried the 7500 (but I might now) but I have four or five 3M respirators in the 6200 and 6300 series and they are perfect for my use. They look similar. Light weight, comfortable, easy to put on/off quickly. I use the P100 filters. I have used one of these for about 20 years, so long the strap is wearing out! This is the type they used at the national Lab where I worked before retiring.

I worried about the size too. I bought some medium and one large. I can't really tell any difference when wearing them, both seal well. Perhaps try a medium. They are pretty cheap, but Amazon will probably let you return it if necessary. An extra one in a different size might be useful anyway for a shop visitor.

I also got a couple of the 3M full face respirators which I don't use as much but they are also comfortable. I use them more with the vapor cartridges when spraying chemicals.

BTW, I do have good dust collection but I use these when sanding. (I also use one when blowing the dust out of the coats and shearing the llamas and alpacas.)

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 07-21-2017 at 8:24 PM.

Lex, I use the Eclipse P100. It's small, lightweight and seems to fit well to my face. I don't care for how the straps worked so I removed the straps from my 3M and use those on the P100. I take the respirator off and on at least a dozen times a day and it's pretty easy.

Racal is the brand I know for supplied air. I bought mine used for about $50. hepa filter at the waist, hose to a hardhat with face shield, works with beard and glasses.
    Bill

I remember years ago when a painter died at Gallo. He had a supplied air set up that plugged into the factory compressed air line. Problem was he connected to N2 and climbed into a huge tank and then he suffocated while breathing "air". It might not have been N2 but for sure it was not CO2 or he would have noticed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racal-Safety-Crusader-Full-Face-PAPR-Respirator-Mask-/162593996415?hash=item25db5b7e7f:g:~JAAAOSwDuJWzzl 2
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-21-2017 at 11:20 PM.

If your glasses fog, it is a fit problem, discounting times when you are extremely hot from working. Nothing fixes it then.

I like the comment "make sure you don't have a strange shaped face..." Wait a minute, I'll just go change my face and then try fitting again! If you are like me and have a larger than recommended beak and a Michael Schumacher jawline, try a really good ventilation system and/or an air fed hood. Remember, personal protective equipment is the last resort in the hierarchy of safety controls. Cheers

Blog Entries
    I have used this 3M mask for spraying automotive finishes for years, haven't noticed the strap issue of which you speak (about $32 at HD):

I am happy with this one for sanding and dust, but forget trying to use the thin paper ones. About $2 each at HD: http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-N95-Wo...B2-A/202077815 But frankly, I don't like wearing a mask at all, so I only use the dust mask when cleaning the shop, emptying my dust bin, or doing sanding that can't be controlled by my dust collection system or ambient air cleaner.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-22-2017 at 9:48 AM.
    NOW you tell me...