Thread: Exterior wood louver doors

Exterior wood louver doors

HI! I generally hang out on the Turners Forum but this summer I have to finish and install some (6 sets of 2 doors) new pine louvered doors for my sister in Montana.
    These doors are outside all year but are under a deck that faces west so they get late summer sun and a few get a little damp and snowy at times.
    Can anyone suggest what the best product for me to use to finish them. I would hopefully like to use something that can be redone without a whole lot of sanding every few years.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Pine doors to be painted or stained and top coated?

Exterior paint or exterior stain (aka fence stain) either semi transparent or solid color.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks Scott.
    I am trying to match the existing wood around the doors which is pretty close to a clear gloss finish.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .