Thread: Corel Draw X6 Upgrade Tips

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Corel Draw X6 Upgrade Tips

I thought it best to start this thread now while it's still fresh in my mind and will probably add more issues that crop up as I discover them.

I have Corel Draw X3 running on an older Windows XP computer and have CD heavily customized over the years with macros, tool buttons, saved paper sizes, custom RGB palette, etc. I wanted a clean install of Corel Draw X6, so I installed Windows XP on a new hard drive and installed CDX6 and copied all my X3 data files to the new hard drive. I can now "dual boot" from one hard drive to another and use my old CDX3 or my new CDX6.

Corel Draw X6 requires a minimum Pentium 4 with 1 GB RAM. I am running it on a Pentium 4 with 2 GB RAM with a fresh install of XP that boots fast. Corel Draw X6 runs noticeably slower then my X3 does on the same computer on an 5 year old install of XP with tons of messy software installed on it! Once I install virus scanning software, I would not be surprised if X6 runs even slower.

Please remember my file location descriptions are for Windows XP. If you are using a newer OS, your file locations may be elsewhere.

Saved Paper Sizes
    X3 saves them as individual .ptp files in the following directory = [drive]:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Corel\Graphics13\PaperTypes
    X6 saves them all in one file = [drive]:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6\Config\PaperTypes.xml
    I have not been able to convert my saved paper types. I have had to rebuild them manually in X6 and save them.

Macros (.gms files)
    X3 = [drive]:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 13\Draw\GMS
    X6 = [drive]:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6\Draw\GMS
    Copy your .gms files to the new location

Global Macros you have created
    X3 = [drive]:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 13\Draw\GlobalMacros.gms
    X6 = [drive]:C:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6\Draw\GlobalMacros.gms
    Copy your GlobalMacros.gms file to the new location

Saved Workspace
    X3 = [drive]:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Corel\Graphics13\User Workspace\CorelDRAW
    X6 = [drive]:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6\Draw\Workspace
    You can import your saved workspace into X6, but do this with the knowledge that you can muck things up in X6, but there is a way to fix it. I was able to copy some of my customized data, but I found that many of the common dockers would not open or function and I could not use the new OpenType features. I ended up having to delete all the files in the X6 \Workspace directory so X6 could generate a new generic default workspace. All the dockers worked again as well as the OpenType features. I then manually had to set up all my custom toolbar buttons, as well as set up all my custom "default" settings.

Custom palette
    X3 = [drive]:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Corel\Graphics13\User Custom Data\Palettes\*.cpl
    X6 = [drive]:\Documents and Settings\[user]\My Documents\My Palettes\*.xml
    When I copied the .cpl file to the X6 directory, it automatically converted it to an .xml file. I was able to open it via Window, Color Palettes, Open Palette and my custom colors I added to that palette are still in RGB.

Setting hairline default
    See Epilog's article at www.epiloglaser.com/tl-hairline-x6.htm

Change default CMYK to RGB colors
    With a blank (default) document open go to Window, Color Palette and select RGB palette.
    Click on the triangle "play" button above the CMYK palette and select Palette, Close.
    Click on the triangle "play" button above the RGB palette and select Set as Default. Just to be certain it saves, go to Tools, Save Settings as Default.
    I am able to close and reopen Corel and it defaults to an RGB palette and opens my X3 documents with an RGB palette.

Additional RGB color management
    Tools, Color Management, Default Settings. On the right side, check mark "Warn on color profile mismatch" and "Warn on missing color profile."
    Change Primary Color Mode to RGB.
    Go to Tools, Custimazation, Color Palette. Uncheck "Automatically update the document palette."
    I'm not sure if these are really needed, but they seem to help.
    Last edited by Mike Chance in Iowa; 07-04-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Adding more tips
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."