Thread: Grizzly GO605X TS 4" DC port enlarged to 6"

Thumbs up Grizzly GO605X TS 4" DC port enlarged to 6"

Well after getting the DC going on my DeWalt RAS I turned my sights toward the table saw.
    I've always believed that a 6" line would improve the Grizzly's DC capabilities, but was leery about cutting my cabinet. Since the saw is now 2.5 yrs old I'm over the novelty and "new car smell" and ready to cut her up.

I used a sharpie and a pc of 6" HVAC duct and marked out my circle, then drilled 1/4" holes along the inside of the circles perimeter. After drilling for 10 min I broke out the right angle die grinder with a cut off wheel and proceeded to connect the dots. It all went pretty quickly and after a little filing with a half round mill file I was ready for a test fit. Originally I was going to use a 6" hvac starter flange and rivet it to the cabinet. Well it turned out that my 6" flex is a really tight compression fit into the hole in my cabinet. So I just stuffed it in there and it looks stellar and doesn't leak a drop. Thankfully the 2" hose coming off the blade shroud is long enough that I was able to flop about 8" of it into the new 6" hose.

Now for the performance side of things.
    I now get a pretty satisfying whistle emitting from the air rushing in around the throat plate, and with ZERO over blade DC I'm getting only the tiniest evidence of dust remaining on the table top.

I am really stoked about this mod and only wish I had done it sooner.
    Here are the pics for proof
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Ok

So after 64 cross cuts at a 45 degree bevel through 3/4" thick pine.... I realize one thing.

Dust collection isn't as effective at 45 as it was at 90.

I've always wanted a shark guard any way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you getting very much flow through the small hose? It would seem to me that the small hose would have much higher losses and that most, if not all the air, would bypass it and be pulled by the 6" duct from the cabinet? Air is going to take the path of least resistance.

Mike

I'd like to hear how well the 2" hose is working as well.

Holy cr@p! I just read the bottom of your post. You have 7 kids!?! Wow, that's a lot of kids.

C

LOL yep 7.

So I really think the 2 inch hose is working out quite well, but when I tilt to 45 all but 2inches of hose is pulled out of the 6 inch line. And as a result of the line being pulled out of the main 6", my suction at the blade shroud is reduced allot.

When cutting at 90 degrees I get so much suction through the throat plate that the off cut gets held in the vacuum right there at the blade.

I think I need to get a longer hose for the blade shroud so when I tilt the blade I still get enough hose left in the 6" line to maintain suction.
    And I'm also still saving up for a Shark Guard.