Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Heating/Cooling

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jump View Post
    I am smack dab in the middle of the same dilemma, and here is what I came up with.

After having (2) seperate HVAC companies come out and quote me the same BTU's and unit, I was confident my research was confirmed.

I have decided to go with a ductless mini-split, 12,000 BTU's. This will allow the unit to cool from 95 degress down to 75 degrees, and heat from 0 degrees to 65 degrees.

This is based on the Mitsubishi Mr. Slim MUZ-FE12NA. I too have @ 500 sq.ft., R-19 walls, r-30 floors and ceilings.

Of course, this is a shop, so the warnings about dust and fibers on the unit must be followed. regualr cleaning, and I plan on running one of those ceiling mounted air cleaners to go along with the unit, to filter the air.

I am going to purchase mine from https://www.acwholesalers.com/
    Did they calculate the heat load from the equipment you will be using?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    That's a good point, Kevin.

My HVAC guy (whom I trust) recommended and installed a 12,000 btu mini-split for my 550 sqft shop. I asked why he didn't suggest a 15,000 or 18,000 btu due to the heat my equipment would generate and he responded with something like this:

"Well, since we live in a high humidity region, you want to slightly under-size your unit so it will run more often and dry the air more effectively. Although cooling is important, you don't want to cool any moist air, which will cause condensation to form on the metal parts of your tools and promote rust. So basically, if you cool the area too fast in a humid climate, all you'll end up with is a very uncomfortable cold and damp space. Also, since you'll only be running one or two tools at a time, you shouldn't have a problem."

Once I wrapped my head around that concept, it made perfect sense to me. And as it stands, the unit was installed this past Monday and my shop has been a steady 75 degrees with an average of 50% humidity all week. That makes me one happy camper!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    No, I told them not to worry about that. It's a hobby shop, I won't be doing 8 hour production days.

Also, the dust collector and air compressor will be in the first floor of the garage, the workshop is on top.

We live in northern Fairfield county CT (IECC Climate Zone 5) and this month completed an addition, including an attached 350 sq. ft. hobby wood working shop. For overall cost, noise control, and ease of installation, we selected a mini-split system, the Mitsubishi MUZ-GE24NA + MSZ-GE24NA Single Zone Mini Split Heat Pump System, purchased from ecomfort.com.

Installation went well and the unit works as expected.

The high efficiency Minisplit systems qualify for a small rebate from the CT Energy Efficiency Fund.

I've been very happy with my mini-split unit. Nice that you only have to drill a small hole through the wall - nothing like ducting.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.