Thread: Can I rub out / Buff Epiphanes gloss Marine Varnish?

Can I rub out / Buff Epiphanes gloss Marine Varnish?

On Wednesday I finished the last of 7 coats of Epiphanes Marine Varnish. It is ready to place in a memorial garden at church. It does not need to be buffed out, but I would really like to. The protection is there but I would enjoy giving it a smooth and slick feel.

Is there a good way to buff or rub out this kind of varnish? I don't know if it is too rubbery to buff. The blue floor is a collage of dog-food bags, which make excellent finishing tarps!

Thanks in advance,

Brian Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Very nice work. No idea, but I would just call Epifanes or Jamestown Distributors. Both have been great resources for my Epifanes questions. I have used the Epifanes Woodfinish Matte as a final coat and like the surface it leaves, but I'm not sure it's any less "rubbery" than the plain varnish.

Steve

I just sent off an e-mail to Jamestown, where I bought the varnish. I'll see what they say. I am not wanting to dull the finish, just smooth the arms and back for a silky feel.

Buff it with a brown paper bag wetted with mineral spirits.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Really like your bench Brian! Nice work and very similar in constuction methods to the swing I just completed. I very much like you upper back rail design! Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I agree, very nice bench. Epifanes is pretty rubbery; as such, I really doubt you can rub it out with much success. Maybe if you work in a meat freezer it would be hard enough, but at normal temp. I rather doubt it.

John

Thank you Ken. And thank you Scott - that sounds like exactly the right combination. I'll post the results.

As a long time marine finisher let me strongly suggest you not "rub it out". In doing that you will reduce the film thickness thereby reducing some of the long term protection of the finish. If you used gloss Epifanes, it will never be any more glossy than it is right off the brush. In addition, like all marine exterior finishes, Epifanes is formulated to be soft and flexible so it can remain adhered in big shifts in the temperature and humidity that causes wood movement. This means that to have the best chance of finishing the finish, you should allow the finish to fully cure for four to six weeks.

The best suggestion I can make is to try to place the bench in a location where it shaded from direct sunlight.
    Howie.........

I buffed some a few weeks ago with some automotive machine glazing compound and a drill. You can't really get any more gloss but it does give it a nice smooth feel. Of course a paper bag and and some car wax might give the same results.

Thanks. That did it. Looks exactly the same as before, but a few minutes with brown paper bag and some mineral spirits took the little nibs off and made it smoother to the touch. That is exactly what I was hoping for.

Hi Brian-
    Reviving this thread. Your bench is wonderful.

How have you found the Epiphanes to hold up after a few years? I'm considering it for a shower bench...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Hi Brian-
    Reviving this thread. Your bench is wonderful.

How have you found the Epiphanes to hold up after a few years? I'm considering it for a shower bench...
    It's not the varnish, its how well you handle ALL the joints. Any place where water can migrate into the wood will cause the varnish to lift off. If you can make a bench with perfectly sealed joints, then any marine varnish will do well. It only takes the most minute crack or break in the film and you'll have a finish failure.

The reality is that there is no coating made that is a 100% effective moisture barrier. Not even epoxy. A varnished structure will only last so long before it absorbs moisture, swells, cracks the finish thereby causing rapid deterioration.

There's a good reason why we don't build boats of wood anymore -- except for the self-flaqelating.
    Last edited by David Pascoe; 10-08-2015 at 2:09 PM.