Thread: Bit stuck in impact driver

Bit stuck in impact driver

There have been several threads on the forum about how to remove bits that are stuck in an impact driver. The one's I saw all recommended various methods of applying force. I tried some of them on a quick-change spade bit stuck in a DeWalt DC827 and failed. Then I found this handy Youtube, which explains that if you are willing to deal with a small slip ring, you can diassemble the quick-change nose. This helps in removing stuck bits since you can get to the tiny ball that locks the bit in place. . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ8lSB_mP1c

After I took the nose apart, I still had to apply some force to get the bit out. I held the bit with a pair of pliers in one hand and used the side of a big cold chisel as a mallet. A few taps on the nose of the metal part that holds the bit released it. This is the most effect place to tap on the tool. When the quick change assembly is on the tool, you can't tap there.

The tiny ball is not captured in its hole after you take the nose apart. It tends to stay in the hole and you may get the impression that it is held in place. However, when I tapped the stuck bit out, the ball popped out also. The black knurled metal sleeve on the nose can be put on in reverse. When it is oriented properly the spring presses it toward the back of the tool, not toward the front.

It would be useful to know an elegant technique for dealing with small slip rings. I manged to do both the removal and replacement with two screwdrivers similar to the way it's done in the video.

After examining the spade bit, I can't figure out why it got stuck. It isn't obviously marred anywhere.

They make bits specifically for the impact guns, I'd stick to those. I've never had a bit stuck that I couldn't reverse the motion give a few taps of the trigger while in a fastener and have the bit un-stick.