Thread: What was you favorite small shop project?

What was you favorite small shop project?

Hello all,

I am new here. I am the Technology/Shop teacher at Wasatch Junior High in SLC Utah. I teach 7-9 graders engineering. I like to use allot of small projects to do this. Some of the projects that I do now are wood tops, pens, yo-yos, scroll saw puzzles, boomerangs, picture frames, small boxes with hinges, and games such as shoot the moon. I also do electronics and have the student make robotics. I have metal working tools, a plastic injection molder, a vacuum former, and a small 25 watt laser engraver. Even with all of my modern machinery I like to do some of the old school projects and modernize them a little bit.

I would like to know what projects that you did in school helped you want to learn more. My class is very popular because I have found allot of projects that kids love to make. I also have a YouTube channel (TheMrByrom) with 50 vids so far that show some of my projects and how to make them. I started this channel for mu students and other teachers but it gets attention from people who just like to make stuff (1000 views per day).

http://www.youtube.com/TheMrByrom

Hi Tony. Welcome.

In jr high I made my mom a duck bank/potpourri holder, It had the body of a duck in 12/4 oak with center cut out for storage, slot to the cut out for coins in the back, and clear plastic sides that screwed on. I remember using a bandsaw, files, sand paper , spindle sander, and drill press. Still sticks out in my mind all these years later. Mostly because of using two different materials. I liked it better than the 3 legged stool everyone else made.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

In middle school, we didn't have a jointer, planer, router table, one table saw....well only the teacher can to use it. Mostly we use bandsaw, drill press, disc sander, and hand held router, hand files.
    But when I went into Cerritos College woodworking program. That all changed .

We Made small woodcars, small box with hinge, wood helicopter, small bench, box, puzzles.

Tony a good source for small projects is the older Wood magazines, they have some small to medium projects that are done by shop students all over. The students around here that participate in shop classes make a few items throughout the year that they sell in the springtime to make money for themselves or for a class party. Maybe you could get your students interested in making things to sell for their own party, that might help peek their interest. Another thing is to get most of them to make something for their mother or fathers, mother are the best to make something for as they cherish it more then fathers usually. There are so many projects out there to choose from, that I wouldn't know where to start. But seeing as it's going to be you teaching and helping them with their projects, I think that you better pick what they could make as only you know your time constraints. How old are they do they have any practice on the scrollsaw? If they are old enough and have enough practice on the scrollsaw, then you could get them to cut out a picture of themselves or their parents or pet. It isn't hard to get a pattern made, any scrollsaw club would make the pattern for free just to get the kids interested in scrolling. I've taught a few of the kids around here to use the scrollsaw and they love it, some nights it a PITA to get them to go home. Thankfully I have three scrollsaws and they know that they are only allowed to use the scrollsaw and drill press and that for now all other tools are off limits. I have about a six foot stack of patterns for them to choose from, and in all different subjects. But what most of them are interested in making, is something to give to their mother as a gift. Sometimes when I come home from a trip to town or somewhere else, there's usually one ot two of them here sitting on the veranda waiting to use the saws. My wife gets the biggest kick out of that for some reason, and I don't mind them being here, they could be a allot worse places. They are all well mannered and their parents told them what I was like before they ever showed up, so they knew better then to act up or to try anything stupid around me. Another project that really impresses them is when they get to turn their own pen, I recently taught a couple of the older ones how to make a pen from start to finish. Ever since that's all I get asked about, when is it going to be everyone elses chance to make a pen? Luckily I bought a couple of dozen slim-line pen-kits @ $2.50 per so it's not going to cost very much. These are the two best ideas that I can think of and know that work, others will have ideas that might help you out also. Good luck
    Len

My two favorites were turning a baseball bat and making a wall lamp. The lamp was basically a plaque with a right angle bracket sticking out of it to hold the light socket. For the bracket we used a form and laminated about ten layers of venier.

I remember learning a lot by making a set of flat bladed screw drivers. We made everything from the knurled aluminum handles, to heating and hammering the blade, to grinding and polishing. I also learned a lot of jokes and heard a lot of funny stories from my shop teacher, but that's another story.

John

I remember doing a gun rack and a violin shaped stool in 7th grade.

Do you think junior high kids would be capable of a small simple two way speaker? They could build the box, and learn the basics of a simple crossover. I've also wondered about a basic electric guitar if they were able to purchase the neck, cut a simple body, and wire in a pickup. Obviously there'd be some cost involved, but they'd have a keepsake to be proud of. It's possible to build a guitar in the $100 range....speakers for less than that. Lots of good woodworking and electronic application for a couple of items alot of teens have an interest in.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 07-07-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I know a shop teacher that does the bank project. He has a bunch of patterns for different animals. I will give it a try this year.