Thread: Shop Fox Aluma-Classic question

Shop Fox Aluma-Classic question

I have a Grizzly 0444Z contractor style saw with the Shop Fox Aluma-Classic fence. (I know, I only "claim" to have the saw without any pics) This fence has extruded aluminum faces screwed to the steel fence structure and a rear leveler that rides on top of the rear rail. It does not hook or lock with the rear rail, only keeps the back elevated. The design calls for the fence to ride 1/16" to 1/8" above the table.

There are no problems that I've seen yet except that I can't use the horizontal surface of the rear rail to attach a table without leaving a space. I was wondering if I could replace the aluminum faces with UHMW, hardwood, or hardwood with UHMW tape and remove the rear leveler. Then the fence would ride on the table top and leave the rear rail free. My thought was this would essentially turn the Aluma-Classic into the Shop Fox Classic Fence. I've read that UHMW has a tendency to flex and may not be the best choice.

Any thoughts, experience, or tips?
    Jeremy Gibson

Doesn't the rear rail support the extensions at the back. I know it does on my saw but I am not familiar with yours.

Yes it does. I'm not considering removing the rear rail, only the leveler on the bottom of the fence that rides in the rail.
    Jeremy Gibson

Jeremy, I don't think you would have to change the faces of the fence, unless you just wanted to. If you can look at a "Biesemeyer" fence, you will see that there is an approximately 1" x 2" thin strip of UHMW that is fastened under the bottom side of the fence close to the rear edge of the saw table that glides over the table and extension top and the rear rail is not used except to fasten the extension table in place. This UHMW strip is fairly thin, and just keeps the fence elevated slightly above the table top. I would think you could fashion something of this type on your fence also.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Quote Originally Posted by Norman B. Hitt
    Jeremy, I don't think you would have to change the faces of the fence, unless you just wanted to. If you can look at a "Biesemeyer" fence, you will see that there is an approximately 1" x 2" thin strip of UHMW that is fastened under the bottom side of the fence close to the rear edge of the saw table that glides over the table and extension top and the rear rail is not used except to fasten the extension table in place. This UHMW strip is fairly thin, and just keeps the fence elevated slightly above the table top. I would think you could fashion something of this type on your fence also.
    I agree. Just make sure it's wide enough to span the miter slots.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter