Thread: Compressor failure

Compressor failure

Some of you might recall that my Dayton Speedaire died last January after 22 years of faithful service. I was pumping it up when suddenly it started making a LOUD knocking sound. I immediately killed the power thinking that it was a rod bearing, or worse. The failure was a good thing because it allowed me to convince SWMBO that I needed to get a new compressor of equal or better quality (I’ve had my new Ingersoll-Rand for several weeks now and love it).
    This morning I decided to tear into the Dayton to see if it was worth repairing and low and behold, this is what I found! One of the little #5-40 screws that holds one of the flapper valves had come loose and had fallen into the cylinder.
    I feel a little guilty now because the fix is going to consist of two new gaskets and a screw. The guilt comes from the fact that SWMBO uses the compressor for dusting lampshades, knick-knacks, etc, so the new IR didn’t even have to come out of my shop budget!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, It sounds like a transfer of funds is in order.

Glad you can fixt it easy. Now the wife has her own.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    Bruce, It sounds like a transfer of funds is in order.

Glad you can fixt it easy. Now the wife has her own.
    Not likely!

I haven't decided whether to sell it or give it to one of the kids...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney