Thread: JDS Multi-Router

JDS Multi-Router

I've been interested in this piece of equipment for a long time. I can't afford it right now but am wondering if any of you have had the chance to use one. If so, what are your thoughts? Besides the cost ($2,600us, I believe) what are the other drawbacks? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?Pa...on=Custom&ID=5

I know of a shop that has one sitting with a pile of other unused equipment so I may make an offer if I become convinced I wouldn't be wasting my money. Thanks.

Brian

Brian, not to hijack this, but can we also ask if anyone has ever seen a used Multi-Router?
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

While this tool offers some nice capabilities, tenoning extra long rails for example, I suspect that as the Leigh FMT becomes more well known the Multi-router will become even more of a niche tool. Not that the FMT is cheap either, but a $1000 is a whole lot less that the Multi-router and the FMT is really user friendly.

Either way, make an offer. The guy might be happy to get a couple hundred bucks for it, and even if you don't like it, you won't have any trouble getting that out of it. Might even turn a nice profit.

Greg

Thumbs up I have a Multi-Router...

I have a JDS Multi-Router, but I don't have experience with the Leigh FMT. My opinions on the Multi-Router:

1) It's expensive. Used ones crop up on ebay sometimes, and they typically go for over 2k.

2) It's one heck of a tool. You can make near-production-line runs of like parts in an extremely fast fashion. Set up once, either using the templates or not... and it stays sets through hundreds of duplicate cuts.

3) I like the MR because it gets you away (physically) from the bit and the router. The fact that the router is never handled is an added degree of safety.

4) If you can get a used one for < $1000, you could easily make $1000 with it by selling it on ebay. That'd give you a chance to try one with an "out" (and an easy-out at that) if you don't like it.

Good luck!
    Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL

I have never even touched a Multi-Router live. A couple of the guys on the Felder Owners Group have and use the MR and say that it is a great piece of gear.

Given the cost, you may want to build your own. Here is a link to a site where an ex-Ponder built his own version and called it the Mortise-Flex.

The Mortise-Flex

Rob

Obviously the MultiRouter cuts mortises, and I guess, tennons. What else will it do? Is it a good tool for dovetails, or????

IF it only (primarily) cuts mortises, why is it better than a horizontal slot mortiser?

Looks like an interesting tool, but at that price I'd like to know how versatile it is.

Gary

Multi-Router Capabilities

One of its strengths is that it uses a stylus to trace an aluminum template. The templates come in many shapes and forms. There's one for box joints, for instance, some for round tenons (for chair making, for example), and regular tenons. If I'm not mistaken, there are templates for dovetails (I don't have any of those). Plus, you can make your own templates if you want. This template bolts on below the table, and the stylus tracks the pattern of the template. All the operator does is move the x-y handles, which allows a plunge, as well as lateral motion.

If you're going to make two mortises and two tenons for a project, I'm sure a lot of other tools can compare. But set up a Multi-Router with the air clamp kit, and you can cut a tenon (including slapping it on the table, clamping it down, cutting it, and removing it) in 10-12 seconds, and it cuts every one the same with no variation. Like I said before, it's a versatile machine for all kinds of operations, but it excels when you've got -- say... 50 identical M&T joints to cut. In that scenario, it's a real workhorse.

The box joints I cut on my MR are the tightest -- and not tight in the sense that you have to force-fit them, just that they fit perfectly -- I've ever seen. The M&Ts are the same. I've never cut dovetails on my machine -- so I can't say.

You can also angle the table, which allows for some more versatility.

Hey... the MR's not for everyone -- it's pricey. I didn't "need" one... just wanted it and had the money at the time. I don't doubt that there are other options (shop-built things, the Leight FMT) that will do many of the same tasks. But the MR's a lifetime machine that does one heck of a job, and does it safely.

It's way more than a slot-cutting/tenon making machine, and I guess it's up to the individual to decide what their intended use for such a gizmo would be.

Didn't mean to be so long-winded...

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL

i used to have the fmt and while it was a nice tool, i just had to have the multi router. I LOVE IT, it really makes mortise cutting a breeze. yes it's expensive, but that was a little treat(among many) to myself last year and i would never go back. i just got tired of building yet another jig, every time i needed a mortise. the MR can cut many things, but i like my D4 or my Akeda better for that. i even use mostly loose tenons, but setup and cutting the mortises is a matter of seconds.

sascha

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sutherland
    Obviously the MultiRouter cuts mortises, and I guess, tennons. What else will it do? Is it a good tool for dovetails, or????
    Looks like an interesting tool, but at that price I'd like to know how versatile it is.
    David Marks used one quite a bit in the first season of his show. So that's a good source to see it in action. I don't know if David or DIY knew about it, but there was alot of flak generated over this (on forums and rec.ww). Which could explain why it has seen limited use on his show since.
    Not that this isn't an awesome tool, I was VERY intrigued by it the first time I saw it, but was quickly turned off by the price, as were so many others. Just out of my league at the time.

My first post on this forum.

Howdy.

I have experience with the JDS building chairs and it is a good production tool. Its just an X, Y, Z jig with linear bearings and a stylus function. I can't really say that the stylus aspect is that useful as it requires cutters exactly the right size to make mating parts.

I other words if you have them sharpened the joints won't fit properly. That being said it will still make acceptable joints with sharpened bits if you forget the stylus. Not really a big deal.

It can be fussy to set up, but not appreciably more than any other jig unless its some jig that references off a work table edge or miter slots.

I would say if you are doing many multiples of joints it is a time saver. If you are building one case at a time the time savings won't be as apparent.

The Leigh FMT will do the same work as a JDS just not as quickly if the JDS has air clamps and that difference is mostly in material handling; . I don't know if the FMT has an air clamp option. They are both powered by router motors so cutting speed won't be much different.

We're talking maybe fifteen to thirty seconds difference in loading time. If I'm doing runs of chairs then that will add up over a year. The shop in which I used the JDS had enough volume to warrant the cost of the tool over the life of the business given that the JDS will stand up to production use.

Good luck and if you don't go for this tool, be good enough to forward me the information where one sits gathering dust. I have a tool that does mimic a JDS using an Inca mortising table and a horizontal router holder but would like to get back to the tool I was trained on. But it will be a while before I can afford a new one, money goes in a lot of directions when you are starting out.

Its how a shoestringer does it. Catch a fly to catch a fish, use the fish as bait to catch many fish, sell the many fish to...on and on.

Hope this info helped.

As an alternative to the JDS, Dan Barber, a member of Sawmill Creek built a machine called the "Mortise Flex" that more or less emulates the JDS. It can be seen on his webpage www.woodisourart.com. It's worth a look. He also provides pretty detailed plans on the construction of one for free.

Another Alternative...

When I was looking for my Multi-Router a few years back, I stumbled upon a "less industrial" option -- the Matchmaker. The Matchmaker is sold by Woodworker's Supply. Go to their site and search for Matchmaker. It's still available, and runs around $750 or so.

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL

Hey Mike - see my post above

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler
    As an alternative to the JDS, Dan Barber, a member of Sawmill Creek built a machine called the "Mortise Flex" that more or less emulates the JDS. It can be seen on his webpage www.woodisourart.com. It's worth a look. He also provides pretty detailed plans on the construction of one for free.

Arghhh... what a bonehead I am sometimes.