Thread: Is there a HEPA filter that will replace the internal filter on an Onedia collector?

Is there a HEPA filter that will replace the internal filter on an Onedia collector?

I have an older 1.5HP Oneida cyclone that has the internal filter. Has anyone found a HEPA filter that will replace the internal filter? Oneida doesn't offer anything. Their only option is a kit to convert to an external filter that costs $380.

Brian, true HEPA filters are generally not easily cleaned and usually disposable. Putting one inside a cyclone with a 1.5 hp blower will reduce cfm, clog quickly, and need to be replaced more often than you want to pay for it. You want to maximise airflow even at the expense of a less efficient filter as a MERV 17+ filter that restricts flow leaves the job up to your lungs. Get a filter with lower resistance that cleans easily and put a better filter in your ambient if you have one. You want the air to be pretty clean before it hits a Hepa type or Nano filter. Dave

I don't mean to be overly critical, but for the life of me, I have no idea why Oneida ever came out with that design! It is terrible from just about any criteria. A friend had one and the filter kept clogging quickly because it had poor cyclone separation and insufficient filter area. It was extremely difficult and time-consuming to disassemble to remove and clean the filter. You are much better off using an external filter. Don't buy the kit- make your own transition and filter mount from HVAC duct parts or MDF. If you can, fore go a filter altogether and discharge outside.

Brian, I was being nice but Alan is more correct. Before you pay $380 to convert to an outside filter, take a look at the inside of the cyclone. The design of that one may be mediocre even if you remove the filter. Look for a used Oneida, Grizzly or Clearvue and really improve your air quality. Your first loss is your best loss. Don't throw much into this one. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Brian, I was being nice but Alan is more correct. Before you pay $380 to convert to an outside filter, take a look at the inside of the cyclone. The design of that one may be mediocre even if you remove the filter. Look for a used Oneida, Grizzly or Clearvue and really improve your air quality. Your first loss is your best loss. Don't throw much into this one. Dave
    This is an Oneida! I suppose you mean a newer one with external filter. It would be cheaper to convert this one to external HEPA than to pay around $1500 shipped for new Oneida.

The reality is I'm trying to sell this one as I no longer have a shop. The only potential buyer so far asked about HEPA filtration. I'm kinda sensing the only way this thing will ever sell is if I put a bargain basement price on it of $100 or something ridiculous on it. I might be better off keeping it for some shop I might have in the future.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 07-11-2012 at 9:54 PM.

Yes, but it is an old Oneida. If I'm not mistaken it doesn't even have a neutral vane. It was their original design, and not a good one at that, which is why they stopped making it years ago.

It can be salvaged and upgraded, but it depends on how much work you want to put into it. Back to your initial question, I don't think you will find a HEPA filter that will fit inside.

Brian, I was looking at spending about $1000 for a 3-5 hp used vs 380 for something that won't work. Oneida cyclones are well built but their current models are average separators and the old ones were much worse. I bought a Torit 20-5 for 400 and an air sentry 7.5 for 350 used including blower and motor. Had to add filters and build a plenum but got commercial units for less than $1500. Can be done. HEPA is a big buzz in DC but more marketing than reality. Whole 'nother topic. Dave