Thread: Ambrosia maple & Mahogany Boxes

Ambrosia maple & Mahogany Boxes

Here are some photos I just took of (2) boxes I turned this past weekend. I'm sort of proud of the fact that I didn't give up on boxes. Even after I blew up (3) right in a row!

While turning these last two, I had an epiphany of sorts. I realized that I needed to modify the sequence in which I was turning the individual features, as well as NOT attempting to use a skew until I feel a lot more confident with that tool! I think (2) of those failures were from skew related catches.

The box on the left is Ambrosia Maple with a walnut finial. The box on the right is Mahogany with a Zircote finial. This time I made the finials much more delicate that my last attempt. I was also going for more of a "hollow form" appearance than your typical box shape.

The Ambrosia Maple box is 6 1/2" tall (from base to tip of finial), and 3 1/2" in diameter (at it's widest). The finial is about 1 1/2" tall, while the base is approximately 1" in diameter. The Mahogany box is 6" tall (from base to tip of finial), and 3 1/2" in diameter. The finial is about 1 1/2" tall, while the base is approximately 1 3/4" in diameter. The wall thickness on both boxes is about 1/4".

Both boxes were sanded to 12000 grit (micro mesh), and given several coats of PSI's Friction lacquer sealer. Afterwords, they were buffed with white diamond and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

Of the two, I am much happier with the shape of the Ambrosia maple box. I attribute that fact to my ability to alter the sequence of turning to more suit the design.

Thank for viewing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dominic Greco

Nice.....I like the proportions and choice of woods. Keep up the good work

Very nice! I really like them both. Like you I am partial to the Maple.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

WOW they look super.

The bar just gets higher and higher to keep up with you guys.

Skew? Are you supposed to turn with that? I thought it was to cut sandpaper!

Nice boxes!

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Dominick,
    I'm glad you didn't give up too. They look great. I love the Ambrosia.
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Very nice, Dominic. Isn't it funny how these little buggers can sometimes be more challenging than the big ones?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...