Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding a Cyclone Separator to a Dust Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Perrello View Post
    OK, I'm leaning toward the baffle.
    I'm adding one to my single stage soon. It is inexpensive, no real-estate problems, and should improve the situation. If you ultimately decide to a cyclone system, you haven't wasted much effort or money on the baffle. I'm holding off on adding a cyclone until I get a bigger, more permanent shop.

where can I see a set of plans to build the baffle?
    Last edited by Peter Perrello; 07-26-2012 at 11:26 AM.

If you do an internet search for "thien baffle", you should get Phil's website and other sites with examples. I don't know that there are any "dimensioned plans" since the baffle is specific to your collector.

You may find some threads on here where specific measurements may be given for your collector, or others may be able to help with that. Maybe PM Phil and he can help with any questions you have.

Mike

here's a thread where I got the dimensions to make mine for the harbor freight. super easy with a jigsaw then a minute with the ROS to clean up the edges if necessary.

http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?topic=145.0

like Michael already said, you can easily wing it just making the overall diameter slightly smaller than the inside of your collector ring (or container if pre separator). The actual dimensions are not critical, just the overall physical shape.

Thanks for all the help and the useful links.
    I'm looking for plans to build the baffle upstream of the collector attached to a 35 or 55 gallon fiber drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Perrello View Post
    Thanks for all the help and the useful links.
    I'm looking for plans to build the baffle upstream of the collector attached to a 35 or 55 gallon fiber drum.
    I've never seen plans though they may exist. I think people just "make it look like the picture." Use thin plexiglas-type sheet goods or 1/8" masonite to form the rounded side and a couple pieces of MDF or plywood for the top and bottom. Sorta functionally duplicate a metal D.C. funnel. Use a router and trammel to form circle to fit the 1/8" material in. Baffle makes up the bottom, solid top with an opening for the exhaust to the collector. Check the HVAC fittings aisle at your favorite store for transition pieces for your hoses. I have a 6" 'chimney' that extends from 2.5" - 3" above the baffle to above the top of the funnel. That seems to help keep chips out of the filter. There was a youtube video by a guy that used clear goods to form the circular sides. Sort of like the Clearview cyclone, it was fun to watch and seemed to work well. You could also tell when the container was full though it'd be a little late by then. I don't know if abrasion would be an issue with acrylic sheet. ClearView uses a pretty durable plastic.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 07-31-2012 at 9:04 AM.

I have been piece mealing mine also, I purchased the cyclone off the net that Joseph referenced, I am guessing 4 to 5 yrs ago. I have mounted to the top a 2hp Grizzly DC that my wife got me for Christmas back in 2002. I really don't get much dust at the bottom of the filter. Switched over to "6 pvc and added pneumatic gates to all my equipment and have been quite happy with results. Next step I will probably add a larger blower but right now I am in no rush.
    DC-2.JPG