Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 50-760 collection bag band clamp

Question Delta 50-760 collection bag band clamp

Hi folks, I could use a little help. As many people have noted in the past, the band clamp that holds the bottom plastic bag onto the Delta 50-760 dust collector is improperly sized. The latch is either too loose at the second latch position or way too tight at the third. Like a meathead, I forced the issue and broke the latch. It doesn't make any sense for me to buy an OEM replacement part, since I'd be spending $30 on something that didn't work properly in the first place.

So what to do? I tried a bungee cord, but it leaks badly where the hooks meet. A friend suggested getting a big worm drive hose clamp, but I can't find those anywhere (I've checked Grainger, Rockler, HD, Lowes, Amazon, Grizzly, and half a dozen other places). I thought about one of those nylon 'come along' band clamps that we use as hold-downs on our pick-ups, but my friend thought that would leak at the ratcheting mechanism. I wondered about a flexible magnetic strip, cutting it to the exact 20" circumference and sandwiching the bag between the magnet and the steel ring protruding from the unit. But I'm not sure if a magnet would be strong enough with 30 lbs of collected dust and the air pressure of the unit itself.

Any other suggestions or ideas?
    If not, does anyone know where I can grab a large diameter worm drive hose clamp? I could always gang up a couple together, I guess, but the more Sanford and Son I get, the greater the chances this thing will spew dust at me.
    Thanks much,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Soli Deo Gloria.
    Chief Sawdust Maker, LoneStar Artisans
    Chief Sawdust Maker, The BoardSMITH
    Secretary, North Texas Woodworkers Association

Hi John,

I have the 50-760 but I use the snap-in bag rings. Why are you using a hose clamp? Maybe we have different model years. I would get the snap-in bag rings. They secure the bags very tightly and are easy to put in and remove.

~mark

I have the same clamp and wondered what it waz for. I do not use it because they give you a bendable metal ring that is inside the can. I can take a picure of mine and upload it20120714_092401 copy.jpg
    this is a view from inside the dust collector. As I mentioned, I do not use the metal strap as I always wondered what it was for. I never have had problems with leaks.
    Last edited by Andrew Howe; 07-14-2012 at 9:41 AM.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I recently bought a Wynn Environmental nano canister to replace the felt bag on top, so I can't use the felt-lined ring that goes on the inside of the unit anymore. Great thought, though.
    Soli Deo Gloria.

Probably not the best long-term solution, but get a longer bungee that can go around the rim TWICE, or use two bungee cords and offset the hooks by 180-degrees.

photo.jpgJohn,

I have a wynn on the top, and a clear bag on the bottom but still use the snap in ring. I attached photo's on how I installed the wynn so I could still use the snap in rings. My unit might look strange because its attached to a super dust deputy.

~markclip.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 07-14-2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: rotating image

Quote Originally Posted by John Loftis View Post
    Sorry, I should have clarified. I recently bought a Wynn Environmental nano canister to replace the felt bag on top, so I can't use the felt-lined ring that goes on the inside of the unit anymore. Great thought, though.
    I do not follow why you cannot use the felt lined ring inside of the lower bag?

I have some HF 2hp bags around here - they might have a clamp MAYBE but I am not sure. Would one of those help?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    John,

I have a wynn on the top, and a clear bag on the bottom but still use the snap in ring. I attached photo's on how I installed the wynn so I could still use the snap in rings. My unit might look strange because its attached to a super dust deputy.

~markphoto.jpgclip.jpg
    EXACTLY what I was thinking.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

If you can't find a long enough worm screw clamp just get a couple of them and screw one to the other. Works great for making extra large clamps.

Bill

I have the same set-up (50-760 with Wynn filter), and I just wrapped enough duct tape around the outside of the lower ring until I could get a positive closure with the Delta band clamp. It works great.

Mark, we have fairly similar set-ups. When I got the canister, I figured there would be no way to easily use the felt ring so I guess I chunked it with the felt bag.

I normally re-use my plastic bags for as long as I can (cheap). How do you change the bags using the felt ring without tearing them? On my rig, they were really tight and I had to come at them from the top, where there's the little relief cut into the steel ridge. Or do you just rip the bag so you can dig under the felt ring with a screwdriver? If you destroy the bags with each change, I guess I could go with heavy gauge black plastic trash bags, since they are a lot less expensive.

Bill, I'd be ok with ganging a couple worm screw clamps together. Do you know of a source for 10" or 12" long ones?

Mike, I appreciate the offer for the HF clamp. Is it fully adjustable? My guess is there isn't much chance it would be an exactly identical size.

Phil, good temporary solution on the 2 bungees. I'll do that until I get a permanent solution.

John
    Soli Deo Gloria.

If the diameter is near 19.5" the HF 2hp units have an adjustable (to a degree) spring loaded clamp.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    If the diameter is near 19.5" the HF 2hp units have an adjustable (to a degree) spring loaded clamp.
    I just measured, and my best guestimate is the OD is 16" and the circumference is around 50.5". I'm sure there's someone out there who can check if my geometry is right. High school was a long time ago...
    Soli Deo Gloria.

Check at this location: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/clamps.html ; they appear to have hose clamps in the diameter range you need.

Mac

I use heavy duty bags from wynn (I think). I reuse them for a long time because my bag never really fills up because I pre-seperate with the super dust deputy. 99% of my dust goes into 35 gal barrel. If I see anything in my bag I know its time to dump the barrel. I have no problem removing the bag though. To remove I grab the bag over hang from the far edge of the ring and hug it towards my chest.

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by John Loftis View Post
    Mark, we have fairly similar set-ups. When I got the canister, I figured there would be no way to easily use the felt ring so I guess I chunked it with the felt bag.

I normally re-use my plastic bags for as long as I can (cheap). How do you change the bags using the felt ring without tearing them? On my rig, they were really tight and I had to come at them from the top, where there's the little relief cut into the steel ridge. Or do you just rip the bag so you can dig under the felt ring with a screwdriver? If you destroy the bags with each change, I guess I could go with heavy gauge black plastic trash bags, since they are a lot less expensive.

John