Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supergrit, Klingspor, or ?

Supergrit, Klingspor, or ?

My supply of sanding discs has dwindled, and locally available 3m, norton, or dewalt discs seem to be rare

What companies do buy from to supply your shop with?

I remember reading an article that compared sanding discs
    weighted sander then weighed wood before and after sanding in timed trials
    anyone remember where that article was?

thanks!
    Carpe Lignum

Carpe Lignum

FWW #222 Dec 2011

"Best Overall" shared by Klingspor VD900 and Norton 3X, the VD900 also got "Best Value" The 3X was very aggressive but the VD900 lasted longer.

I have been using almost exclusively Klingspor for years.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I found the Norton 3x gave me a lot of swirl marks so that it lasts a long time didn't matter to me. I have heard only good reports on Klingspore although I have had great success with Indasa Rhyno grips disks. Available from Industrial Abrasives or 2sand.com. I tend to use 100 and 220 with nothing in between and go from table or band saw to stain ready with two grits. I don't buy into the idea that you shouldn't skip grits, that's a fallacy. If I am using an oil finish I follow up with 320 and an Abralon pad. It leaves a wonderfully smooth finish for my chairs and small items that people will touch. For a table top or staining I would stop at 220 and use a different finish.

I don't think how much dust remove is an accurate way to measure it. It does not matter how much is removed, but the results. The result is more important.

Blog Entries
    I moved to Norton 3X early on and enjoyed it till I tried some upper-end Klingspor stuff. I have learned that cheap abrasives (not calling Norton 3X cheap, I mean the other stuff) are a false economy. They cost you time and quality; the latter you can recover but, only by spending some more of the former. Better abrasives offer more consistent, predictable results and they actually don't cost much more (if any) if you study on it a bit. I also find that selecting your abrasives is like selecting any other tool. If you just grab whatever is handy and go to work, your results will suffer. A flexible cloth back is good for some things and not for others. Same goes for a heavy cloth backing. Grab a selection of quality stuff and work happy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hsieh View Post
    I don't think how much dust remove is an accurate way to measure it. It does not matter how much is removed, but the results. The result is more important.
    From their test using a magnifying glass and strong light the determination all the discs did fine, the author saw no reason to apply any sort of grading to the finish. This was based on not skipping discs, if one is a grit skipper the results may be different. If one accepts the finish is equal then the amount removed before the disc is dead and the speed with which it is removed is important, more important to someone that makes money with woodworking though.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I switched to abranet on my ETS 150/3 (have not tried it yet on my 150/5 but I assume it will be perfect as well) and a craftsman shop vac. I really like it.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Buy from the rest then buy from the best...www.industrialabrasives.com
    Don't put much credence in the hobby mag reviews. Have bought from all the places and the commercial shops I've worked tend to favor Industrial Abrasives...lowest minimum for custom belts also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    Buy from the rest then buy from the best...www.industrialabrasives.com
    Don't put much credence in the hobby mag reviews. Have bought from all the places and the commercial shops I've worked tend to favor Industrial Abrasives...lowest minimum for custom belts also.

Don't count out Klingspor their commercial side supplied (supplies to whats left) a large part of the abrasives to the NC furniture buiness probably the largest concentration of production woodworking in the US and their custom stuff is VERY inexpensive. I have ordered from IA in the past but I came right back to Klingspor, the quality and value were just higher IMHO.

Van

Was this finewoodworking that did this test?

Van

Correct Fine Woodworking #222 Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Correct Fine Woodworking #222 Dec 2011
    Van
    just to set the record straight...

That image was from Wood magazine
    http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...sanding-discs/

I have previously bought from both Supergrit and Klingspor but that was a few years ago...
    Carpe Lignum

Thanks just restocked from Klingspor!
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    just to set the record straight...

That image was from Wood magazine
    http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...sanding-discs/

I have previously bought from both Supergrit and Klingspor but that was a few years ago...
    He may have been referring to the chart! I didn't think of that I was referring to a different test which had SIMILAR but not the same results.