Thread: Dust collection from dual drum sander.

Thumbs up Dust collection from dual drum sander.

What do you folks who have a dual-drum sander utilize for the dust collection arrangement from the machine? I have a less than ideal collection set-up that leaves a lot of dust on the board and the feed roller. My collector is the 1.5HP Delta w/canister filter using a 6 foot long, 4" flex pipe directly to the collector port. Appreciate any advice.

Drum sanders are legendary for clogging canister filters.

If you have been using your DC for some time, I'd try to clean the filter (instructions for doing so safely should be available from the manufacturer).

Then reinstall it, and see if it does a better job. If yes, then you can try some of the tricks for keeping dust out of the filter (a separator).

If no, then you are looking at a DC upgrade.

Note that even the largest, most efficient cyclone separators still struggle with fine sanding dust. You may need to exhaust outside, at least when using the drum sander, in order to avoid clogging the filters in short order.

Hi Mike,

I have a Performax 37" double drum sander. The sander came with two 4" ports on the top. I opened them up to two 6" ports. I am using a 3hp cyclone dust collector. I have two 6" lines branched off of my main line going to my dust collector. I get 100% dust collection.

How wide is your machine? One 4" port does not seem enough for a drum sander. If your machine only has one 4" port, can you add another? Run two lines from your dust collector to your sander. Drum sanders need a lot of dust collection. It also helps keep your paper clean.

Sam

I haven't seen a dual drum with a single 4" port. That would be inadequate no matter what you connect it to. My Powermatic 25" has two 4" ports that go via a Y to a 7" main, and that is the first machine on the line to a 3hp cyclone. But before you upgrade the collector, get a second port going.

The Performax 25x2 has a single 4" port and you are correct in that it is totally inadequate. A 25" dual should have two. Unfortunately a 1.5 hp canister DC is the wrong tool for the job. You need to vent outside or have a good pre separator which in turn means a larger impeller. If you do need to filter through a cartridge when sanding, talk to Wynn Environmental for a recommendation on an easily cleaned filter as you will be cleaning it a lot. Dave

Mike,
    First, check out this thread on hod-rodding you 1.5hp collector http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ication-w-pics

Run 6" to a 6-4-4 Y connected to your sander.

C
    Attached Images Attached Images

My machine is a Woodtek 25" dual drum sander with 2 4" ports on top. I run an elbow from the furthest port, connecting to a T and then onto the DC hose (4"). I am beginning to think I do not have enough
    muscle in my dust collector, which is a Delta 1.5 horse single stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    My machine is a Woodtek 25" dual drum sander with 2 4" ports on top. I run an elbow from the furthest port, connecting to a T and then onto the DC hose (4"). I am beginning to think I do not have enough
    muscle in my dust collector, which is a Delta 1.5 horse single stage.
    Mike, you need a collector capable of a 6" main to carve out two 4" ports. You can't run two 4" into one and make it work even with a big impeller and motor. Dave

Thanks David for the tip. I have some extra 4" pipe so I will give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Thanks David for the tip. I have some extra 4" pipe so I will give that a try.
    Mike, avoid Ts in favor of wyes and run 6" as close as you can get to the wye. Run rigid from the wye to the two ports. If it works well you will need to clean the cartridge about once an hour. Dave