Thread: New year, new house, new shop

New year, new house, new shop

Well I haven't been on in over a year. We had a baby, 18 months old now and needed a bigger house. After just building a shop at the old house, when we first bought this one, I was pretty exhausted in the savings account. Then buying this house, I put my woodworking and construction skills to the test. Then after spending probably 20k on this house because it was built in 69 and hasn't been updated yet, I sure needed to get my machines out of storage. So this is what $2000 got me. I tore down the old shed that was rotted out and was 12 x 14. We then added to the slab to make it a 16 x 20. I had a friend down the road that had a 16x20 carport that he didn't want anymore. So I got a free roof basically.

Two friends of mine that are contractors helped me do the slab and then we all set forth to framing it in. Concrete cured for 3 days over a weekend then Monday we took the old carport down, brought it down the road, and had it back up in the same day. Next 3 days were framing and siding with Hardie Board panels. Next day was doors and trim. That finished out a 5 day week. Then the following Monday we wired it up and installed the lights. That's it, 7 days of work and I got my new shop. I plan to add onto it in the future, The pics are backwards, from finish to start. Well, not finished yet, still gotta finish insulation and gotta paint it this weekend and all my stuff is crammed in it at the moment until I build my shelves, etc...

1329007085509.jpg1329007088218.jpg1329007090119.jpg1329007090659.jpg1329007091126.jpg1329007092211.jpg1329007092471.jpg1329007092691.jpg
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Welcome back Joe,

Your shop is looking good. Wow, busy week. You sure got a lot accomplished in a short time.

Sam

Blog Entries
    That's a pretty ingenious way to get a shop..and quick build, too. You have some great friends. Welcome back to the Creek. (BTW, I just clicked on the last photo and then went PREVIOUS from there and got it in the right sequence.)

Thanks Sam and Jim. Great to be back. Sam, it went by really quick. These contractor friends are extremely good at what they do. They have helped me with a few other projects around the house including some tile work, a little plumbing, and put up my privacy fence. I got burned out doing everything else myself so had to get some help in to finish those things.

Jim, I got the idea when I was thinking about one of those metal shops. I noticed that all they are is just a carport with metal sides. I'm not a fan of metal studs and I wanted wood studs for attaching shelves, etc. So when a friend of mine told me the carport needed to go, the wheels started turning. Most of the budget went to concrete and paying the contractor friends about $150 a day. The siding and studs were pretty cheap and the wiring was only a few hundred bucks. So it came in right at between $2000 and $2200.

And when I add on I am going to get a 14x20 carport with 6 foot sides that will basically slide in under the front of the existing one and do the same thing to it and move the door to the front. I can get the same 14x20 carport put together for $600. So then it will just be the same thing but only 3 sides to side will keep the cost about the same.

Joe, I know what you mean about getting burned out doing everything yourself... I have a list of things to do... However, at this time, it looks like I am the one doing them. The price is right for me to do the work.

I like the idea of adding on. That is a great idea using another carport. After the slab is pored, and the carport is up, there is no hurry to frame it in. Are you going to insulate the ceiling?

Sam

Exactly Sam, I can do it at my leisure and if I don't get around to it for a while, I will have a nice shaded place to sand outside. Since we bought this house I have gutted and renovated the living room, kitchen, hallway, master, and kids room all myself. Laid 1400 square feet of wood floors myself already. Still have the 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, and laundry room left. Then I'm sure my wife will want to redo or add on.

I do plan on insulating the ceiling. Once I get everything cleaned up and able to move around good in there I have a buddy that owns a spray foam place that is going to do it for me. I'm just going with the pink stuff for the walls because it's cheaper and I can do it myself.

Joe, you have been busy for sure. I know what you are talking about. We removed our roof from the top plate up, and stripped everything down to the studs. I had a demo crew do the demo. I hired one guy, and he and I built a new roof, and added a new bedroom as well as a lot of other modifications. We built my shop as well. I went from a 3 in 12 roof, to a 6 1/2 in 12 roof. I rewired the entire house, built my cabinets, etc.

I congratulate you for doing it yourself. It is very rewarding.

Sam

Sounds like you were a little busier than me! I've done built ins and have more to do but I bought my cabinets because all my tools were in storage and my wife needed a kitchen asap. I would never mess with a roof. I had those 2 guys reshingle it for me. I have rewired the entire house just about, all except the rooms that I haven't demo'd yet.