Thread: grinder binder

grinder binder

Okay, my father-in-law has an old grinder wheel assembly in his garage. The motor is separate from the wheels and runs it with a belt. I swear it's older then me and covered with gunk. I was using it today (possibly the first time it's been used this century) and it froze up on me. The motor spins, but the wheels won't. I can't even move them by hand. There are little porthole things with flip top lids that I thought were to put lube in, but my father-in-law says he's never done anything with them. Is this a case of just having to break it down and clean it? Any help would be great!

Those indeed are oil caps which allow you to put oil into the sleeve bearings to keep them lubricated.

You've probably re-invented friction welding, no awards however as it's already been discovered.............LOL.

regards, Rod.

Looks like your going to have to take it apart. Hopefully you didn't do what Rod speaks of so get some PB Blaster and spray it good everyday and see if you can move it. Then you can take it apart and clean it.
    Don

... and Oil it!
    Leo

Thanks guys! I hope this works, he keeps giving me grief about this. He claims I broke it when he's the one who hasn't oiled it in years! lmao

Sounds like your fil is having fun with you.