Thread: "Hanging" Shelving

"Hanging" Shelving

I have 10' ceilings in my shop and want to add some shelving up near the ceiling. I was thinking of using slotted or perforated angle to hold up the carcass for the shelves. This would allow me to minimize the amount of wood bracing required. Anyone tried this?

Need a picture

I think Lee Valley has what you're looking for:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware...=3,43648,43650

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Marr View Post
    I have 10' ceilings in my shop and want to add some shelving up near the ceiling. I was thinking of using slotted or perforated angle to hold up the carcass for the shelves. This would allow me to minimize the amount of wood bracing required. Anyone tried this?
    Yes, it works very well. I used the heavier gauge Stimpson strong-tie braces connected to 2x4s (one horizontal, one vertical from the ceiling joist) and laid plywood sheeting across the horizontal member. An alternate method would be to use Super-Strut & the associated metal components to build the support frame and then lay ply across the strut. Use Lag bolts for the struct; for the strong-tie I used their screws.

Years ago, one of the WW rags had a tip in which the poster took one of those prefab shelving units and hung it from ceiling, instead of mounting on floor. Be sure the bottom chords of your trusses are up to the job. Also bore any mounting holes in or above the center of the bottom chord. The lower half of the bottom chord is in tension.

Sorry I'm a little late getting back to this post.

I found this company http://diygarageshelf.com/ . However, I need to run the "brace" straight up to the ceiling (not at an angle as they show) so I can have two shelves. Also, that product is a little expensive. So, I was thinking of using slotted angle like is commonly used to hold up garage doors. I'll take some pictures when done.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Yes, it works very well. I used the heavier gauge Stimpson strong-tie braces connected to 2x4s (one horizontal, one vertical from the ceiling joist) and laid plywood sheeting across the horizontal member. An alternate method would be to use Super-Strut & the associated metal components to build the support frame and then lay ply across the strut. Use Lag bolts for the struct; for the strong-tie I used their screws.
    Greg, any chance you have a photo? I'm not familiar with a Simpson Strong-Tie bracket that will work in this application.

Hmmm... how much weight do you plan on these shelves holding? I may be mistaken, but the slotted angle that I've seen is commonly a thin gage metal and might not be strong enough to use for this purpose.

Now that I see what type of shelves you're trying to make, perhaps you should consider purchasing a thicker angle iron and drill the holes yourself.

Hi, I have my wood storage rack suspended from the floor joists.

I used unistrut on the bottom of the joists, and 1/2" threaded rod through holes in the shelves with a nut supporting the shelf.

Regards, Rod.