Thread: Market Flooded with Vinyl Cutters

Market Flooded with Vinyl Cutters

Market Flooded with Vinyl Cutters
    I’m looking at vinyl cutters and am blown away with the vast number of these units being sold on eBay alone. It appears that literally hundreds of these cutters are being sold every month. Other than personal use, it seems the market is flooding very quickly. Maybe I should think about being on the other end of this game as selling the machines seems to be a better proposition than finding an open market to sell vinyl cut products.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 07-22-2012 at 7:55 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

In the recent years of economic issues many sign shops have gone under, in our area I know of 4. meanwhile, the Chinese manufacturers were starting to build them , and like lasers, at a much lower cost. I would think that selling them is a losing proposition, because those sign shops left will need replacements only after 6-8 years. My oldest one is now 7 years old and going strong. I paid $4,400 for it but can replace it now with the newest version of the same model for less than half that, or buy a larger Chinese model for under $500.

There has also been a move toward more full color digital printing which has gone down in cost. I don't know who would be buying all of those plotters.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    In the recent years of economic issues many sign shops have gone under, in our area I know of 4. meanwhile, the Chinese manufacturers were starting to build them , and like lasers, at a much lower cost. I would think that selling them is a losing proposition, because those sign shops left will need replacements only after 6-8 years. My oldest one is now 7 years old and going strong. I paid $4,400 for it but can replace it now with the newest version of the same model for less than half that, or buy a larger Chinese model for under $500.

There has also been a move toward more full color digital printing which has gone down in cost. I don't know who would be buying all of those plotters.

I spent $4400 on my first 24" and now can get exactly the same one for $650..... (SignWarehouse)
    - Stephen
    ----------------------------------
    Artsign Laser 60w 24"x36" Passthrough
    Corel Draw X6

I have a Chinese one at home, cost a couple hundred dolllars, wasted tooo much time playing with, on the other hand the Roland
    GX-24 I bought has done nothing but make money, don't us eit a lot but It paid for itself in the first 3 months. Wished I could
    of affordde the print/cut version, but this actually suits my needs today with the optical cutter.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Blog Entries
    I don't know, Tim... years back when I got mine, they appeared to be selling like hotcakes then, too.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I guess the question is whether they are selling like hotcakes, or being offered for sale like hotcakes. Something I discovered yesterday in the course of work in my daytime job was very informative. I was looking at a site that displays the ships here in Seattle, at the various terminals, and we had one container ship coming in. Have a look at what's going on in China. Cargo vessels are green. Sorry for the small pic, am on the little notebook with no graphics software.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green