Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Monster Lathe Phase One (and a "small dilemma")

Monster Lathe Phase One (and a "small dilemma")

Spent a few hours patching up all of the small voids in the concrete and easing the hard edges. Then a coat of "hammer finish" paint. Also woking on rearranging things to fit this into my workspace.

Now… the big dilemma. Some of the pics Mark posted show a jackshaft with a large reduction pulley and some step pulleys. Pricing all of the stuff needed to replicate this and with the big wheel, the step pulleys, bearings and all of the misc hardware needed to get it all working and I'm in for almost as much as it would cost for a 3ph motor and a VFD.

I know VFD setups have been discussed frequently on this forum and I have read most of the threads. I seem to recall someone mentioning a VFD/motor combo that was not too expensive. Some advice here would be most welcome. My knowledge of these setups is most basic. I would like to have a 1.5 - 2hp motor and I know the VFD and the motor have to be matched up in some way. I can input either 110 or 220.

Meanwhile, I am working on the other "major missing piece"... a tool rest setup!

Oh and one other thing. I have no idea what the exact size/thread count in the spindle end is. I tried to measure it and it could be 1 1/8, 1 /3/16 or 1 1/4" depending on which way I squint and seems like I could count either seven or eight threads per inch again depending on how I squint... I emailed Mark to see if he knows exactly what adaptor I need but I think he might be on vacation!

monster_lathe_7.jpgmonster_lathe_8.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

2. Nice job on the paint, David. I really like your idea of going with a VFD and matched up motor, especially since it would be in the ball park on price. If it is possible for you to find a 3hp, it would be a great addition and make your lathe truly in a league with the big boys as to power.........perhaps a find will come along........perhaps someone in this community will have a lead for you.

Wonder if you sent a picture with the dimensions to someone like Brent English, if he would fabricate a tailstock for you? Some pics of the underneath where the clamp plate would be and precise dimensions, would likely be enough info in order for him to fabricate something...........then, I also would check with Jeff Nicols........he might take on the challenge since he had some interest in this unit early on..........one does not know unless they communicate.

Good luck on this......we are all watching with great interest in your progress.........
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Man that looks good, David. Have you seen these motors? Don't know the cost but something to think about.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Nice looking motor. But no indication of price. Low RPM is 800 so step pullys would still be needed. I would love to know the cost. Maybe a phone call on Monday...
    David DeCristoforo

I am fan of that hammer paint!

I like the idea of variable speed motor

and with most boy toys,

the bigger the better!
    Carpe Lignum

This pulley calculator may be helpful as well.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Hi David

I'm going to the Nor-Cal Woodturners club meeting in Sacramento Tuesday evening. If you would like me to I could leave early and bring by my chuck that has a 1 and 1/4 by 8 tpi insert and we might possibly resolve what size the spindle end is. I will send you an email with my phone number and you can contact me or send me your address by email.

Phil Harris

That would be great. I'm pretty sure it's 1 1/4" X 8TPI but it would be nice to know for sure. Mark said it was "the standard" size but there seems to be a lot of "standard sizes"!
    David DeCristoforo

David,

You can get a 3hp VFD and motor in the $600 to $700 dollar range. Talk with Brent over at Robust. He can give you a good idea of actual cost. I have always found him very open about such information and always willing to help.

Alan

Thanx, Allan. But six or seven hundred is out of my price range right now. I'm trying to do this "on the cheap" if at all possible. There's used 3ph motors to be had for under a hundred and the VFD looks possible at under two.
    David DeCristoforo

11. I bookmarked this site about a year or so ago..........

http://www.dealerselectric.com/

Don't know if you could use this info or not, David.........but they have motors and inverters.........maybe useful for your lathe build, and some of the prices seem pretty good to me.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Looks good, David! I think you are on the right track with a 3ph motor and an FM50 VFD for variable speed and reverse. Lots of good info on VFD's in the electrical forum at OWWM too.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

"I think you are on the right track with a 3ph motor and an FM50 VFD..."

I'm leaning hard in that direction. I would love some specific information like how slow this unit will run the motor etc. I'm looking for a spindle speed range of 200 - 2000 RPM. I will probably try calling a dealer tomorrow...
    David DeCristoforo

David:

If Phil Harris stops by to check the spindle threads, you might consider hitching a ride with him to the Tuesday night Nor-Cal meeting if you have the time. We installed a Teco FM50 VFD on one of the club lathes and it is located at the meeting site, so you can see it firsthand. I also installed a slightly different TECO model on a disc sander in my shop. Both VFD's came from Dealers Electric and have been working well. You will probably need to use 220v for the size of motor you are talking about. You are also welcome to visit my shop to examine the setup on my disc sander - I live about an hour east of you.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    I will probably try calling a dealer tomorrow...
    I wish I could help, but I started researching this, then a 10hp motor came my way for free and I built a rotary phase converter for my shop instead.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.