Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sander dust collection

Bob,
    I don't think you will regret buying the DE. Its a tough pill to swallow at first, but it works great with the Festool Sanders and other tools. I use it with my circular saw, PC router, PC buiscuit joiner, and Kreg Jig (need an adapter).

Without any instrumentation, about the only ways I can imagine noticing a drop in performance of the DC would be that you notice a different sound of air being pulled through the pickup point or that a machine is dusting that didn't used to dust.

If you want to do it by measuring, a couple of ways for a single stage collector would be using an ammeter for motor amps or a SP gauge on the DC inlet. As the flow drops (which it will due to backpressure from the filters) the inlet SP will drop and the fan motor amps will also drop. Whichever method you choose, I would pick a branch or condition, to get a baseline reading with the filters clean. Then, repeat the condition and check the readings when you suspect the flow has bee reduced. The trigger point (point at which you want to clean the filters) would be determined by when the flow is low enough that dust collection is no longer meeting your expectations. If you modify your system in the future, you would need to repeat this and get a new baseline reading.

For example, if you have two branches, close one gate and open the other. Take your amp or SP reading with the filters clean. When you suspect the filters may be plugging, repeat your measurements with the same branch open and the other closed. If you modify, the branch where you are taking your measurements, then you will need to do a new baseline reading. Sorry for the detail.

Regarding filter cleaning, there should be a mechanical means of doing this via a crank that moves paddles on the inside of the filter, dislodging the dust out of the filter pleats. This should be done with the collector off, before each bag change, and it may also be a good idea to do it after each shop session. If you use compressed air, be careful not to dammage the filter media. I use a shop-vac to clean my filter periodically.

Mike
    Last edited by Michael W. Clark; 07-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.

I have a Festool 5" sander and the Festool HEPA vacuum, and they are worth every penny!! My wife took me to woodcraft and bought it for me after I had a severe reaction to sanding dust. I had tried various less expensive methods of dust collection while sanding. All of them were lacking. I was using my dust collector when I had the issue mentioned above. I thought it was working well, but it wasn't. I was coughing up dust for three days and felt like I was going to die.

The Festool sander is the best sander I've ever used. It does a better job and does it faster than any other sander I've used. I used to own my own cabinet and solid surface coutertop shop, so I've used a few sanders. It is designed to be used with a vacuum and should not be used without one. The sander blows air out of the center hole and the vacuum sucks through the perimeter holes. this results in perfect dust collection when used with the correct vacuum. The sand paper doesn't clog and goes back in the box for further use where I used to use multiple sheets with other sanders due mainly to clogging. this is true when sanding wood or finishes.

The Festool vacuum is the heart of the dust collection abilities of the sander. It is variable speed. I usually have it on almost as low as it will go because it sucks the sander down too hard otherwise. Nothing gets past it, and it doesn't slowly loose suction as the filter clogs like most vacuums do. I use the auto setting, so it turns on and off with the sander.

Dust collection is an investment in our future health. IMHO - Only the HEPA dust collection vacuums will filter out the ultra-fine particles that cause health issues. The Festool sanders and vacuums are an engineered system that works perfectly. If you can't afford both, sand outdoors and wear a dust respirator. Check into how much lung transplants cost and compare it to the cost of a Festool vacuum.

Regards,

Brad