Thread: Question on use of brackets for KV TT100 Economy 100 lb Drawer Slide

Question on use of brackets for KV TT100 Economy 100 lb Drawer Slide

Hey folks,

I'm contemplating building a Tom Clark style cabinet for the shop. My first. So these drawer slides keep coming up as a good inexpensive way to go. Tom's cabinet design uses doublers to which the slides are mounted. I though the slides mounted directly to these and you just ("just") needed to make sure the slides are screwed in parallel to each other.

The Woodworker's Hardware website has the slides and a front and back bracket. Do I need to purchase the brackets?

thanks!

mark

I built the 18 drawer workbench as close to his plans as I could, but with a double thickness top. You don't need a bracket for those slides, you just screw them to the sides of the carcase and doublers. The slides come with some screws, but I wanted to use more so I used the included screws for the drawers and bought more screws to attach the slides to the carcase. getting all of those slides in and working correctly was quite the learning exercise for me, but they work great and I'm really glad I followed Tom's methods.

Thanks for the reply Steve. Just curious, did you put the sliders on before putting the cabinet together?

The learning experience is part of the reason for my doing this!

mark

When I built my cabinets, I put the slides in before assembly. Put a piece of tape over the ends of the slides to keep them from sliding open when you are moving the carcase around - that got annoying real fast.

I put mine in after the cabinet was together but before putting on the top, this allowed me to compensate for various minor errors in cutting and assembly and helped ensure exact drawer spacing. The cabinet was set on a flat level surface then the slides for the top two center drawers were located by cutting two sticks to length at the desired height above the floor (lay the slide on top the ends of the sticks then screw it in place). I just kept cutting those two sticks shorter and shorter to match the height of the next lower set of drawers.