I recently got a bandsaw that has a 3-phase (3HP) motor. I purchased a VFD (this one: http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it...=2&category=32) to run it off single-phase 220V power. As it was suggested to me here by Erik to document how I get this run I have taken some photos that I post below.
The VFD comes with a little booklet which you can also download as a PDF online. I suggest to get the PDF version as the instruction booklet is way too small to read easily.
The most important point to remember is to have the output of the VFD directly connected to the motor (with no switch or disconnected in between).

First I decided to do a test run to see how things need to be wired. I don't have a blade yet (they are on the way).
The first photo shows the bandsaw in its original shape.I took the wires out of the motor and connected them directly
to T1,T2,T3 (which are output) of the VFD:

bs9.jpgps1.jpgps2.jpgps3.jpgps4.jpg

The power in to VFD goes to L1 and L3 if it is single-phase (for the case that the input is 3-phase too then you use L1,L2,L3).
To control the unit I use the two multi-function inputs. In this case input 5 is a 12V power and 3,4 are for forward/reverse control of motor. If you connect 3 to 5 it will start the motor in forward case and with 4&5 you get reverse rotation. The factory setting was a 5HZ which you can adjust to 50Hz.

Since the multi-function input is low voltage I use a simple light switch to control it in the test run. I turn the saw on and check the amp usage:

ps5.jpgps6.jpg

It is using only 2amp on input (with only the lower wheel rotating as there is no blade). At start-up it goes up to 10amp.
next post...