Thread: Anyone using the Hollow Fast Hollowing System?

Anyone using the Hollow Fast Hollowing System?

I am trying to get an idea of user satisfaction levels with this system. One of the things I like about it is the ability to use carbide cutters. Anyone have this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePADVTkWZ5s
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Looks like a very clever design. Just FYI you can get carbide cutter holders to fit in any hollowing system you just have to ask, and I (and others here) can point you in the right direction for the ones that you need/want. I have no experience with this system, but I own both the Kobra and the Monster hollowing system. If you want to know about either of those, PM me and I'll gladly give you my thoughts.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Glen I sent you a PM.

4. Hollow Fast system

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    I am trying to get an idea of user satisfaction levels with this system. One of the things I like about it is the ability to use carbide cutters. Anyone have this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePADVTkWZ5s
    Once in a blue moon, some innovation comes along that qualifies as a "must have". Such is the Hollow Fast System. This well-engineered device is categorically superlative. The only downside is that you'll probably waste a lot of time repeating "where has tis thing been all my life".
    Take your joy of woodturning to a new level...buy it now (I don't work for the company).
    Steve Lazarus

I've seen the system several times at various symposiums and it is a well thought out system, and was considerably more stable than the home-brew rig I built. Not sure how it compares to the Kobra or Monster - definitely a lighter system, but $300 versus $500 for a Monster.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I've seen this and I compare it to a "deluxe" Elbo articulated hollower. Better than hand hollowing for folks that are catch prone, but not in the same league as Monster, Gizmo, Kobra, Trout or even Trent Bosch's new rig. Anything requiring a small chain to ensure it doesn't come out of the tailstock is a little "wonky" from my point of view.

It will do the job on smaller stuff but it's limitations are the shear mass of the supporting system. That will limit the speed of hollowing and the size of the vessel.

No matter what rig a person decides to purchase, I highly recommend learning to hand hollow the correct way. If you do this, you will understand what the cutter is doing inside the vessel and knwo how to finesse the cuts to achieve a cleaner..more consistant wall thickness.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I've never been really impressed with any of the "----Fast" products.

Haven't seen this one in person, but I have a feeling that it will be similar to many of their other products.

Looks like a lightweight slow cutting small work-piece compared to the master-cut. But this may just what many new hollowing turners need.